Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,537   Posts: 1,544,276   Online: 772

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Jones View Post
    Over many years my most used lens on a 4x5 has been the Kodak Ektar f/7.7. 203mm. It might not do as well for those wide open portraits, though.
    +1 for this lens. It is certainly affordable and nice and sharp, maybe too sharp if you want that soft wide-open look. It lacks filter threads, though. (most of my lenses are without... the problem with bargain finds)
    Tom, on Point Pelee, Canada

Ansel Adams had the Zone System... I'm working on the points system. First I points it here, and then I points it there...

http://tom-overton-images.weebly.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by jp498 View Post
    I've got two lenses with bent filter rings. I got them cheap because of that, and they work fine. ymmv of course.
    Me too.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    KEH is a reputable source that stands behind their stuff, I would consider buying a lens from them even with filter ring damage. Just check it out and make sure it functions according to your needs. You could return it if necessary.
    DanQuan.com
    stand in the place where you are

Think long-term. Buy a good lens and keep it. 210mm plasmats (Symmar, Sironar, etc.) are plentiful and fairly cheap. Buy one with a good filter ring, you'll be happier in the long run. (Try re-selling a lens with a bent filter ring . . .) I bought my 210 Symmar-S in about 1980 and continue to use it almost every time I take my 4x5 out for some fresh air. It's a standard portrait lens as well.

Peter Gomena

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    210mm was the coin of the realm for college-level still life and commercial studios, so there are a ton of them circulating, many in pristine shape. Mint or near-mint examples of the (Plasmat design) 210mm APO Sironar-N's/Caltar IINs are going for under $200 these days, which seems like a rather trifling amount considering these were once north of a grand new. Since you have a Sinar you ought to be able to fully exploit the tremendous 301mm image circle for 4x5. FWIW, I'd pay as much attention to the description of the shutter's condition as I would to the glass.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/Gundlach-Tur...ht_4142wt_1398

Maybe worth looking at...

sorry, i was thinking 8x10, disregard.
    DanQuan.com
    stand in the place where you are

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin