Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 76,347   Posts: 1,682,509   Online: 702

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images

Da Yi 6x12 back. First Impressions.

Well, I wrapped my rollfilm back up as soon as if came int he mail, and gave it to myself for Christmas... The day before, it came in the mail, and the postman didn't quite hand it to me, and I dropped it onto the sidewalk... I was a little nervous opening it due to this, but I shouldn't have been. And I must say, I was blown away by the apparent build quality. There's no plastic in the construction, save for the advance knob for the rollfilm, and it feels like a solid, well-machined piece of equipment. Now it's only left to the test of time to be the final judge of this, but I can see this back lasting me a good long time.

Yes, the looking through the window, (No red window, it's just a straight hole through to the backing paper, but however, it does have a door that is light proof that slides down and covers it... Thought it was odd that it didn't have the red though.)

With that, and the Holga 120N my girlfriend got me, all I need is a buttload of 120

Merry Christmas all.

*edit* Now all I need is a GG that's marked for 6x12, 6x9, and 6x6
    *edit x2* Running a roll of Delta 400 through it now, will post scans.
    Last edited by EASmithV; 12-26-2011 at 02:23 AM. Click to view previous post history.
    www.EASmithV.com

"The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera."— Dorothea Lange
    http://www.flickr.com/easmithv/
    RIP Kodachrome

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have a holder of similar design made by (for?) Shen Hao. Its a multi forat that I use for either 6x9 or 6x12. You are right, they are built like a brick and my particular example have no fogging issues. I paid just over $150 for mine.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    How heavy are they?

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Heavier than Graflex, lighter than Linhof, I'd guess.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Curt View Post
    How heavy are they?
    My brother has walked off with my chemical scale for purposes of Mineralogy. I'll post here when I have an exact measurement, but by rough estmate (using my hands) it's about the same as four Riteway 4x5 Film Holders. (I'm probably way off)
    www.EASmithV.com

"The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera."— Dorothea Lange
    RIP Kodachrome

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thanks, I wondered about it, they look and sound very solid, I would have thought they were heavy. In actuality maybe not.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Here are three images from my first roll of film from the back. No scratches, and the film seems to be held plenty flat. The only issue I ran into is that the last image on the roll, was shot off the film, and there was extra film toward the front of the roll. I'm not sure how this can happen, as the look-through-the window advance should be foolproof. This can't be an issue with the back, it's too simple to not work... Perhaps the film was mis-taped to the backing in production. (Roll #2 will tell more on this)

The first image is with a Petzval on a Pacemaker Speed, and the rest are on an Anniversary Speed with a 101mm Ektar f4.5, the film is Delta 400 in D-76

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	6585307051_028eb712fe_b.jpg 
Views:	136 
Size:	157.6 KB 
ID:	43479

Name:	6585319041_b1667ba460_b.jpg 
Views:	120 
Size:	191.5 KB 
ID:	43480

Name:	6585343117_e23c89271c_b.jpg 
Views:	119 
Size:	174.8 KB 
ID:	43481
    Last edited by EASmithV; 12-27-2011 at 08:51 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    www.EASmithV.com

RIP Kodachrome

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The models I've seen recently have red viewing windows.

It looks like you have been having some fun with it. I hope you will post some more images.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Nice results, Mr. Smith. Interesting images. I've been eying one myself. Kindly bring it down to Charlottesville so I can play with it!

I think I would definitely put some red transparent tape or something over that window.
    "Only dead fish follow the stream"

[APUG Portfolio] [APUG Blog] [Website]

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I just bought a new ground glass that I can put into one of my Graflock panels, and that way it can switch it between both my Anny Graphic and Pacemaker with ease. It's marked for 6x7, 6x9, 6x12, and 4x5, with gridlines as well. I'm going to possibly shoot my next roll as either 6x6 or 6x9, and post results on the usage of the masks... When the GG and some more 120 film come in the mail.
    www.EASmithV.com

RIP Kodachrome

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin