Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,228   Posts: 1,532,710   Online: 700

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format

Lenses for 4x5 advice!

I'm interested in getting some lenses for my 4x5 camera's (Cambo SCII and a super clean Crown Graphicn).

What lenses do you recommend and for what reasons?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Its a decision that only you can make. We don’t know how you shoot and what your minds eye is creating.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    A typical 4x5 kit consists of a 90mm, a ~135mm or 150 and a 210. The ~135 was very popular among press photographers and is often paired with crown graphics and similar. I would suggest that first for reasons of economy and versatility. Depending on how your interests pull you after that, you could then go longer or wider. Or both.

Look out for a convertible Schneider 150; that is another great first lens.
    "Only dead fish follow the stream"

[APUG Portfolio] [APUG Blog] [Website]

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by cjbecker View Post
    Its a decision that only you can make. We don’t know how you shoot and what your minds eye is creating.
    true, but i hope i can hear peoples experiences, their regrets, ect to help me make a decision.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by keithwms View Post
    A typical 4x5 kit consists of a 90mm, a ~135mm or 150 and a 210. The ~135 was very popular among press photographers and is often paired with crown graphics and similar. I would suggest that first for reasons of economy and versatility. Depending on how your interests pull you after that, you could then go longer or wider. Or both.

Look out for a convertible Schneider 150; that is another great first lens.
    Thanks, this helps! i have a 135 on my graphic and i got to check what i got for my cambo. It might have been a 90mm. I know i definitly want to get a longer focal length lens for it so i can use the movements.

Can i get more info on that Schneider? it sounds interesting. What makes it convertible?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Well, long story short: the simple LF lens formulas permit design of lenses that can be shot with both lens groups or with one absent, thus amending the overall focal length.

I have several old convertible lenses.... before people shot in colour and did a lot of enlargement, they were quite popular. There are double and triple convertible LF lenses. The one I mention is 150 with both groups and 265 with the front element removed. Just google convertible lenses and you'll get the scoop. Plenty of great LF images have been shot through convertible lenses.
    "Only dead fish follow the stream"

[APUG Portfolio] [APUG Blog] [Website]

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have only one lens for my 4x5 Chamonix and that's a 150. Like it a lot. My next lens will be 210 or longer.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by pdjr1991 View Post
    true, but i hope i can hear peoples experiences, their regrets, ect to help me make a decision.
    What I regetted was getting more lenses than I knew what to do with.

The Schneider Convertible Symmar is a great lens, perfectly good with color film, and is usually a bargain. The one caveat is that the shutter might need a CLA.
    You can't really go wrong with any reasonably modern lens, although different types will have different coverage (image circle) in the same focal length.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by keithwms View Post
    Well, long story short: the simple LF lens formulas permit design of lenses that can be shot with both lens groups or with one absent, thus amending the overall focal length.

I have several old convertible lenses.... before people shot in colour and did a lot of enlargement, they were quite popular. There are double and triple convertible LF lenses. The one I mention is 150 with both groups and 265 with the front element removed. Just google convertible lenses and you'll get the scoop. Plenty of great LF images have been shot through convertible lenses.
    wow thanks that's very helpful! I heard ansel adams used a triple convertible. I'm a big fan of killing two bird's with one stone and killing three sounds pretty nice.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by E. von Hoegh View Post
    What I regetted was getting more lenses than I knew what to do with.

The Schneider Convertible Symmar is a great lens, perfectly good with color film, and is usually a bargain. The one caveat is that the shutter might need a CLA.
    You can't really go wrong with any reasonably modern lens, although different types will have different coverage (image circle) in the same focal length.
    Do you have a recommendation of a shop or person that can overhaul old lenses? i have a couple that im not too sure about shutter speed wise.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin