Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,536   Posts: 1,544,248   Online: 749

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Take a look at this cool toy on eBay

Look at this on eBay:

Camera shutter tester for shutter speed up to 1/4000th

http://bit.ly/zV9V2P

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Looks interesting.

Jeff

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thanks for the apug link. Looks like some one already ordered one.

Cheers!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    It seems to me to be a device to make one unhappy, if I suspect my shutter speeds are inaccurate I have a camera technician test them because he knows how to adjust them if necessary, I don't.
    Last edited by benjiboy; 02-01-2012 at 07:00 AM. Click to view previous post history.
    Ben

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by benjiboy View Post
    It seems to me to be a device to make one unhappy, if I suspect my shutter speeds are inaccurate I have a camera technician test them because he knows how to adjust them if necessary, I don't.
    In real-life one might calculate how many stops away from the indicated speed and if it is less than one-third, no exposure adjustment is needed. If it is greater than one-third, adjust the exposure accordingly when using that speed.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by ic-racer View Post
    In real-life one might calculate how many stops away from the indicated speed and if it is less than one-third, no exposure adjustment is needed. If it is greater than one-third, adjust the exposure accordingly when using that speed.
    Not very practical with TTL metering especially matrix metering.
    Ben

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    It looks very much like mine, except mine's battery powered and fits in your hand:

http://www.largeformatphotography.in...d-tester/page5

My shutter tester first appears in post 44, with a pic of the finished board (not in it's case) in post 67.

His price is less than what I sold mine for. Mine were $135.

// Wally
    "When the pin is pulled, Mr. Grenade is not our friend."
    - U.S. Marine Corps Grenade Training Manual

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Quote Originally Posted by benjiboy View Post
    Not very practical with TTL metering especially matrix metering.
    Not supposed to be. You figure out what exposure you want, then select your lens, set it for the speed and aperture you want.
    Test the lens' shutter. If it's too fast, open the aperture a bit to compensate. If it's too slow, stop down.
    They aren't making LF lenses anymore so as the mechanical shutter in them gets old, it gets a bit sloppy. Use the tester to set exposure right, and you won't waste a sheet of film.

// Wally
    "When the pin is pulled, Mr. Grenade is not our friend."
    - U.S. Marine Corps Grenade Training Manual

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    ^ The point about shutter speeds and evaluative/matrix/multipattern metering is that in so many cameras with such metering the Tv and Av values are stepless, and so a rudimentary testing device could potentially give a false result. Of course with older medium- and large format cameras it could be useful — but it will still depend on having a grasp of technical knowledge to know by how much is too much or too little. Modern cameras are best tested/calibrated by technicians, not gizzmos found on eBay.
    .::Gary Rowan Higgins

A comfort zone is a wonderful place. But nothing ever grows there.
    —Anon.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin