Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,918   Posts: 1,584,776   Online: 913

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Shooter
    35mm RF
    Since I sell film in Canada this is what I've noticed.

Large Format peaked a few year back with the Ilford Ultra Large Film special run. Each year it's smaller. Could be because people are stocked up and not shooting, could be because the list of dealers has increased slightly, dividing the pie. I know my sales are right off. The ULF run does not include 4X5 or 8x10 sheets since they are always available. 8x10 is still strong, 4x5 is way down, 5x7 is steady but I noticed many of the sales go to other countries since they can't get the film there, which is new. Whole plate remains strong since few stores stock it. I just sold my last three boxes last week.

Roll films in the 120 size have dropped right off and are hardly worth keeping in stock.

Roll film is 35mm size are way down as well.

Of all the film I sell, I would guess that 75% is used by three photographers who continue to shoot film on a regular bases. Even my own film use has dropped off although I had a special run of Delta 100 made in 4X10 for a project I'm doing.... it arrived too late for last year's rodeo season.

-Rob Skeoch
    Rob Skeoch
    This is my blog http://thepicturedesk.blogspot.com/
    This my website for photo supplies...
    www.bigcameraworkshops.com
    This is my website for Rangfinder gear
    www.rangefinderstore.com

epp
    Shooter
    Holga
    Quote Originally Posted by Alan Klein View Post
    Kodak's 2010 Annual report shows 1.7B in sales for their Film, Photofinishing, and Entertainment Group (movie film etc) out of around 7 billion total for the corporation. They had earnings of 64 million dollars in the film group. These numbers have been declining. However, the main problem is that the corporation is operating at a substantial loss. If they could go through bankruptcies and throw off their losing crap and legacy costs, they could have a small but profitable film industry, probably growing smaller though as time goes on. Or, some one like a Ilford or Fuji could buy out that portion in bankruptcy. Maybe we should take up a collection and go into the film business ourselves. Anyway here's the link. Check pg 95 after you open the PDF document.
    http://phx.corporate-ir.net/External...xUeXBlPTM=&t=1
    I do not know if Kodak is required to file an annual report while they are in Chapter 11, but from what I read online, Kodak's film division (above) was consistently profitable, leading up to the bankruptcy filing.

They have already announced they are exiting the digital camera business, but will continue to manufacture film.

I don't see Kodak selling the film business.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by epp View Post
    I don't see Kodak selling the film business.
    My best guess, as a retured Kodaker living in Rochester, is the current management would if they could.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Grainy View Post
    I don't think it has started to level off. The reason? There is more old people stopping shooting film than young people starting. I will say that in maximum 5 years the majority of the generation of old people photographing with film camereas has stopped doing so. The next generation of old people started to use digital when they were younger, so they will not have any problem with using a basic p&s camera. When that transition is over the things will level out, maybe even increase a little again.
    I don't know, I am 68, and have gone back to film for B&W as I love the craft of photography. I would guess that shooting 35mm instead of digital is kind of crazy, especially in color. I shoot B&W with some old folding roll film cameras, a Crown Graphic (the most fun camera I have), and just recently picked up a 4x5 monorail camera.

For reference: my first digital camera was a Nikon Coolpix 100, so I have been shooting digital for quite a while. I use digital for client work (not much of that anymore), documentary stuff, my blog, etc. I shoot film for fun.

Kodak claims their film division is making money. I think Ilford is hurting due to the high value of the English Pound. There are a dozen or more companies worldwide still making B&W film and paper. The price of decent film cameras has been rising for the past 2-3 years. However, film is now a niche market and only fairly large internet dealers are making a profit at serving it.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by graywolf View Post
    Kodak claims their film division is making money. I think Ilford is hurting due to the high value of the English Pound. There are a dozen or more companies worldwide still making B&W film and paper. The price of decent film cameras has been rising for the past 2-3 years. However, film is now a niche market and only fairly large internet dealers are making a profit at serving it.
    That's ok with me about the dealers. I had to deal with "fairly large Internet dealers" even in the 90s, because of where I lived. Now that I live in a major metro, it's the same situation only those dealers are much more accessible due to the Internet.

Ilford is hurting? I printed on MGWT FB last night and was just putting my film into my new-to-me fridge for such, at least a fair amount of which is Ilford. Maybe I need to buy some more. Kodak has just about priced themselves out of my next order of 4x5 film anyway. I like Foma to play with but can't count on the quality and the reciprocity failure is hideous. I love TMY-2 but maybe not enough to pay the price now. HP5+ would probably suit me just as well.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    My local and the only professional photographic dealer now in a city with a population of about 500,000 only had a total of around 15 bricks of film 135 and 120 monochrome and colour slide and negative included total in stock the last time I was in there, when I asked the owner if that was all he had he said " very few of my professional customers still use film ".
    Ben

Shooter
    Multi Format
    On further reflection, I have seen no credible evidence that the decline of film has steadied out other than film enthusiasts wishful thinking, and I speak as one who has been shooting film for more than fifty years and owns no digital cameras, although I'm as sad as everyone else about the situation, we have to face the facts .
    Last edited by benjiboy; 07-13-2012 at 07:06 AM. Click to view previous post history.
    Ben

Shooter
    35mm RF
    I last posted on this subject back in January.
    Since then film sales have continued to spiral.
    Rob Skeoch
    This is my blog http://thepicturedesk.blogspot.com/
    This my website for photo supplies...
    www.bigcameraworkshops.com
    This is my website for Rangfinder gear
    www.rangefinderstore.com

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Images
    As the world spirals down in film sales, we are exposing more film than ever.

I am burning through 4 x5 and 8x10 sheet film on a project that will take me a couple of years if ever to complete. My wife is exposing pro pack after pro pack of colour negative , and every once in awhile a few of my heavy hitters come in with hundreds of rolls of film.

It will never be like it was in the old days , but I believe there is a solid core of dedicated film users (myself included) that are very active in our purchases of fresh film and chemistry.

I do envision the day where major purchases of film and paper will be required to meet our needs but thankfully Ilford/Harmon and Fuji are still feeding our habit.

Today and over the weekend I will be burning through 5 boxes of Art 300 11x14 on my own personal project.

CGW

Shooter
    Medium Format
    It's different than just a few years ago but film and processing are still available. Can't attest to a revival but I'm not surrendering my barstool as the Titanic slowly sinks.

Shooting E100GX 120 in a few weeks at a friend's huge 2-day Tamil wedding--great fun and an explosion of color.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin