Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,913   Posts: 1,556,260   Online: 870

Shooter
    35mm

Solid Neutral Density filters

Hi, I was wondering if anyone had any samples off solid ND filters for me to have a look. Ie., with and without the filter.

I have 2 B+W filters that I bought off eBay but have color casts. They are 2 stops and 6 stops.

I have read that the 10 stops certainly have casts (all of them) so yeah .. not sure if I have is suppose to or not. I shoot film of course, so I wondered how you guys use a ND filter? I am stumped. Maybe is it to shoot 50 speed film and use a cheaper lens so I can stop all the way down to f/22 or f/32?

Many thanks.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by rayonline_nz View Post
    Hi, I was wondering if anyone had any samples off solid ND filters for me to have a look. Ie., with and without the filter.

I have 2 B+W filters that I bought off eBay but have color casts. They are 2 stops and 6 stops.

I have read that the 10 stops certainly have casts (all of them) so yeah .. not sure if I have is suppose to or not. I shoot film of course, so I wondered how you guys use a ND filter? I am stumped. Maybe is it to shoot 50 speed film and use a cheaper lens so I can stop all the way down to f/22 or f/32?

Many thanks.
    no neutral density filter or gray card are truly neutral,unfortunately.some ma nufacturers supply spectral sensitivity data to verify how neutral their product areto test an nd filter , you could take a picture of a color chartandcompare the filtration of different colors
    Regards

Ralph W. Lambrecht
    www.darkroomagic.comrorrlambrec@ymail.com[/URL]
    www.waybeyondmonochrome.com

Shooter
    35mm
    In regards to shooting greens with waterfalls. How do you guys do it?

This is my 6 stop B+W filter:
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/31194022@N00/6697896961/

And this is my 2 stop:
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/31194022@N00/6697896815/

Do they seem right to you? Will Lee or Singh Ray be better or do you simply just go out with overcast days and shoot without the filter or maybe even shoot at very small apertures and accept diffraction?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    If you shot reversal film, your 6 stop filter shot is probably half a stop underexposed. Have your shutter speeds checked and make sure that aperture is set as you want it. I didn't see a color cast in your 2 stop filter shot; compare white building with white building.

ann

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    I have heard and seen an example of the Lee Big stopper that has very little color cast; but they are expensive and hard to come by.
    http://www.aclancyphotography.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I use a 6stop b+w and don't have any color issues. As Dan pointed out, your exposures don't match. Are you printing your slides on ilfochrome? No. Correct in post.
    www.vinnywalsh.com

I know what I want but I just don't know how to go about gettin' it.-Hendrix

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    When ND filters are used for long exposures, some color correction may be required to compensate for reciprocity failure color shift.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin