Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,993   Posts: 1,524,257   Online: 995

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format

Your Choice for Shooting on the Street?

Soliciting opinions: What is your favorite (format/lens choice) combination when shooting on the street?

Although I shoot in a variety of formats, the particular choice of camera is usually - but not always - determined by the subject matter at hand. Such is, for me, most obvious in the case of street photography, where being inconspicuous, quick and quiet are paramount. Having shot on the street with 35mm SLRs (Nikon F2s, F3s and F5s) as well as TLRs (A couple of Rolliflexes) over the years, I eventually settled on the 35mm rangefinder (loaded with HP5/Tri-X) as my preferred format for this type of shooting. A big fan of Jay Maisel (one of the primary reasons I first picked up a camera as well as the reason I was a long-time Kodachrome shooter), I am a committed adherent to Maisel's Axiom #1 (i.e. "The more you carry, the less you shoot."): my street-shooting "kit" (a Leica M6 with a 50mm Summilux ASPH) is the epitome of simplicity. Using this camera/lens combo not only allows me to concentrate fully on what unfolds around me, it also, I think, forces me to work (see) harder and become more "engaged" with my subjects. Further, in my view, I do not miss shooting opportunities when changing lenses. What about others out there in APUG-land? What is/are your preferred tools for this type of shooting?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    For me it is a TLR (yashica d). At first the WLF did not work for me, but now I am so comfortable at not having to put anything in my eye and just look down. it's quiet and people don't get "spooked" around it much.

Shooter
    35mm
    My Yashica 124G was out with me today and it was not only discrete, it was also a conversation starter. It's like the best of both worlds! It gets people's attention but it's so silent even I can't tell if I've taken a picture!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    A third "vote" for the TLR. I do not own any RF, and would sometimes be tempted, but in the end I doubt I'd do better with it than with my Rolleiflex.

The WLF, quiet operation and big negatives are three advantages
    Laurent

---------------------------------------------------------------
    Only dull people are brilliant at breakfast (Oscar Wilde)

My APUG Blog

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I would go for a TLR also. I use my Rolleifex.

Jeff

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Kiev 4a. Small, silent, sharp.

Shooter
    35mm
    I don't do 'street' photography in the sense of pacing shopping districts waiting for weirdos and pretty girls to walk past. I do however take photos at organised events where people merge. In these situations I like to use wide angles, 20mm, 24mm, holding the camera below my face around about on my chest. I then go right into the action and photograph what I see. These days I only really photograph these events when family or friends are organising them as I have no use for photos of strangers (do street photographers hang these on their walls?). In one sense it's harder to be incognito amongst the familiar but in another they relax more and forget what you're up to.
    Steve.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    But what you describe *is* street photography; out of the studio portrait or documentary photography.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    I find it depends on the space and density of the crowd. That often dictates how close I get to people. The closer I'll be, the wider the ideal lens up to about 21mm. Or at times I go with a 100mm and try to focus on layers rather than isolation.

I love TLRs as well but recently have been using rangefinders and folders more frequently on the street. The odder looking the folder, the more likely people will either ignore you or view you as some sort of eccentric which seems to put them slightly at ease in the same way a TLR does. I go with rangefinders because they're compact, I can take a couple of lenses in a small bag and people seem less intimidated by them than a large SLR.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I like to put some "push friendly" film in my Kiev4a, bringing ei up to 3200. This gives me about f22 and a high enough shutter speed to get focus free grab shots. It's a rokin combination for walking around.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin