Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,764   Posts: 1,484,072   Online: 1045

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Southern Forest Region, Western Australia
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ParkerSmithPhoto View Post
    . . . Avedon's entire career was created with a Rolleiflex and an 8x10 camera, both with normal lenses. Two cameras for his entire insane voluminous photographic career. I try to remember that when I'm ho-ing around on Craigslist. :-)
    Being a pedant, I note Avedon's 10x8" work was split between a Sinar in the studio and a wooden camera in the field - American Photo Mar-Apr 1994 pp 79 and 81
    - However, I agree with your point about simplicity - Who will now help me loose a few kilos of Hasselblad gear I have not used since I retired?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jbaphoto View Post
    Being a pedant, I note Avedon's 10x8" work was split between a Sinar in the studio and a wooden camera in the field - American Photo Mar-Apr 1994 pp 79 and 81
    - However, I agree with your point about simplicity - Who will now help me loose a few kilos of Hasselblad gear I have not used since I retired?
    He had a whole closet full of Rolleiflexes, too, but they were all the same! Truth be told, he occasionally used a Hassy with a 150mm for tight shots, too.

I think if you exclusively shoot 8x10 with a normal lens, it's the same camera no matter what make the lens and/or camera might be, provided they are relatively equivalent lenses, which I am sure they were.
    Parker Smith Photography, Inc.
    Atlanta, GA

Commercial & Fine Art Photography
    Portrait Photography

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I recently bought a tall bookcase, with glass doors, and, and made up extra shelves for it. The extra shelves were made because I planned to use it to display cameras, which are typically a good deal shorter than most books.

I installed it at the bottom of the stairs to the basement. You cannot help but look at it going down the stairs. I have it quite full of all sorts of cameras from my collection, which fuluctuates between 25 and 30 or so. The ones I use are not in the cabinet, but rather in kit bags packed ready for use.

Now if I had a way to put extra darkroom gear on display, that would probalably help. I currently have 4 enlargers scattered about the basement; three of them actually ready to be used. In truth the 5x7" Laborator 138 I really don't need, because I dont shoot or plan on shooting larger than 4x5. It is such a finely made machine I have a hard time thinking of parting with it though.
    my real name, imagine that.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Remember Mike... If you don't have it, you'll need it. Don't part with anything thing

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I suggest we start a G.A.S suffered support group to help other members who are suffering the pangs.
    Ben

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by LarryP View Post
    Last spring I got back into photography with rangefinders and been struggling with them ever since,decided I'm an slr guy. The pentax 645 confirmed itand decided to get the 150mm lens to expand it then later get a spotmatic for 35mm. Well this week keh has a 150mm for the 645 on sale and there's a spotmatic f for sale in the classifieds. My problem is money is tight and either one is at the edge of what I could possibly spend but am nervous about getting caught short on cash . AAARRRRGGGGHHHH.
    You have my deepest sympathies, mate, but I have to agree with what others have said. If you buy knowing you can't really afford it, chances are you'll be feeling guilty before you even get home. Will you then be able to enjoy what you've bought? As you sit on the couch with your new purchase, dry-shooting because you can't afford any film, will you regret giving into GAS?

My 2c-worth - read the post about Phototherapy and go take some photos. Save up until you have more than enough, then buy. They won't run out of gear...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Someone has to stimulate the economy!

Do your part and have GAS!
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    If it's any consolation, I have a Mamiya 645 Pro that came with an 80mm normal lens, and I bought a 150mm for cheap to go with it last year, thinking I'd use it for portraits. As it turns out, I rarely use it and like the 80mm better. Iin retrospect I think I would have used a 110mm more, or a 55-110mm zoom.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Thanks guys, the GAS passed. A spotmatic was my first real slr and would still be using it if it hadn't been stolen some 15 years ago from a work truck. Part of my frustration on that was I could have gotten a spotty and a 50mm for about what i spent on the 2 rangefinders I bought dumb decision on my part. The 150mm for the 645 well several years ago when I last had a 645 I found myself wanting a 150 to supplement my 75 about 20 to 25 percent of my shots. I'd rather crop with a longer lens when needed. well they come when the money is here and the price is right.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Great news, Larry. An amazing display of self-control.

Good job.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin