Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,206   Posts: 1,531,822   Online: 900

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format

Feeling GAS arrrgghhh

Last spring I got back into photography with rangefinders and been struggling with them ever since,decided I'm an slr guy. The pentax 645 confirmed itand decided to get the 150mm lens to expand it then later get a spotmatic for 35mm. Well this week keh has a 150mm for the 645 on sale and there's a spotmatic f for sale in the classifieds. My problem is money is tight and either one is at the edge of what I could possibly spend but am nervous about getting caught short on cash . AAARRRRGGGGHHHH.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    As one who has overspent on equipment in the past (and probably the not too distant future) it's not worth the grief to run out of cash. I think we as photographers always have the mindset of "boy, if I had this lens/camera/enlarger I could create all these wonderful photographs." And then once we get the lens/camera/enlarger we decide that we need just one more thing.

It's a form of procrastination, and I am a 20 year offender.

Avedon's entire career was created with a Rolleiflex and an 8x10 camera, both with normal lenses. Two cameras for his entire insane voluminous photographic career. I try to remember that when I'm ho-ing around on Craigslist. :-)
    Parker Smith Photography, Inc.
    Atlanta, GA

Commercial & Fine Art Photography
    Portrait Photography

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I have successfully overcome GAS but now it's been replaced by MAS. Not sure if this is any better.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    MAS?
    Andy

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Materials Acquisition Syndrome. Film and paper, mostly.

MAS also stands for Mandolin Acquisition Syndrome. I don't have that variety.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Boy have you come to the wrong place for help!
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

CGW

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Funny but I'm planning on shedding gear.Too many 35mm Nikon bodies(most manual lenses I'll keep). May dump all Mamiya 645 stuff and keep small Bronica SQ and Mamiya RB kits. Guess the Kodak debacle and the passing of one of Toronto's largest commercial labs is weakening my film faith. Was more productive with less. Shopping for scanners now.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Send the Nikon bodies this way, I'll find homes for them.

Mike

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Ok, I'll help...

Don't be a fool. Keeping body and soul together are way more important than a hobby. If you have people depending on you for their living, it would be criminal to buy a stupid lens. Save your money until they aren't on the edge of what you can pay.

http://www.daveramsey.com/category/tools/

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Less is more.

There are very few all time great deals on this stuff. If you hold off, there will be more spotmatics/ae1's/om-x's/fms/etc. to buy, not to mention lenses for your 645.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin