Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,694   Posts: 1,549,018   Online: 899

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images

Grinding GG Glass to precise size?

I bought a nice looking GG from China a while back. It has the markings for every roll film back format known to man, which is really nice. However, it was designed for a Wista / Toyo, so it needs about 1.5-2mm ground off either side to fit my Graflex.

Does anyone have on tips on grinding glass? I was going to use the disc side of a belt sander with the finest size sandpaper I could find and a spray bottle of water.
    www.EASmithV.com

"The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera."— Dorothea Lange
    http://www.flickr.com/easmithv/
    RIP Kodachrome

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    For that much you may need to use a glass cutter or the professional services of a glazier. That is a lot to grind off IMHO.

PE

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Or a 400 grit wet or dry sandpaper.
    Use it wet, It will take a little while <hr but trying to cut 1-2mm with a glass cutter needs some experience. It's not scoring the glass, it's how the hell do you grab that 2mm edge to snap it off?
    Heavily sedated for your protection.

Shooter
    Large Format
    A belt sander will be fine, no water. The only difficulty is staying straight so hold it long ways against the middle of the sander. Do a 30 degree sand on one side, turn over and do a 30 degree sand on the other side and then a 90 degree sand between the two. Then test it and so on.
    "There are a great many things I am in doubt about at the moment, and I should consider myself favoured if you would kindly enlighten me. Signed, Doubtful, off to Canada." (BJP 1914).

Regards
    Bill

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin