Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,916   Posts: 1,584,720   Online: 790

Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 456789101112 LastLast

Shooter
    Large Format
    http://www.cracked.com/article_19022...ewing-you.html
    http://www.cracked.com/article_17606...gredients.html
    On either, you'll need to scroll to the cables entry on the lists.
    Enjoy your $700 USB cable.
    I actually play piano and listen to music. While there isn't much difference beyoned price between the top of the line Yamaha and the top of the line Steinway, a lot of people go for the Steinway due to their advertising and higher cost. They convince themselves that Steinway is better, as they make fewer pianos so there must be more crafstmanship, which must OBVIOUSLY sound better. Both sound the same when tuned properly.
    Steinway makes speakers for audio systems. At six figures for a set. While they have a very cool and modern look, if I wanted modern appearance, Bang&Olufsen could do that at a much better price.
    In analog or digital, it's things like how many tubes or transistors are in the audio path. Consider a, say, 1950's 5 tube radio. Sounds acceptable. Now listen to the Zenith Stratosphere. Absolutely amazing sound. Again, listen to a cheap CD player with only a few transistors to process the audio. Now compare it to one with thousands to process the audio. Sounds much better.
    It may be my limited understanding of electronics, but I'm pretty sure transistors are analog-meaning they don't output digital bits from an analog signal. They do the exact same thing tubes do-amplify or switch electrical signals. Of course, they have their own problems, and using transistors near their limits can cause a lot of problems that either fry them or just sound really unpleasant.
    But IMHO, if I want really good sounding music to get lost in, I'll just cue up my old stereo. If I just want to enjoy some music, I have an iPod for that. And most of the time, I just want something nice playing, and I don't really care about the recording being perfectly true to life. I just want to hear my favorite song play while I do an unpleasant task.
    I doubt they are worse, engineers design audio systems, and engineers design cameras. There are plenty of people in both camps who will see an ad for something that is claimed to greatly improve what they hear or see, and they may well jump on it. Photophiles do it with developing chemicals, computers,printers, paper, film, cameras, and lenses. Audiophiles do so with speakers, cables, amplifiers, and other such things.
    Photographers making the majority of art, however, use only a few cameras. Professional audio recorders have their gear-yes, they need a lot more stuff, but last time I helped out a professional audio guy, his boxes of cables were all cheap basic cables. Nothing fancy, apart from the gear,and even that was getting on in age. He said "it works for me and does what I need. I'll repair or replace it when it breaks."

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I'll disagree. There was some research back in LA during the 80's that showed that the 'warm tone' produced in tubes were attributed to the currents in the tubes being modified by the electro-magnetic interference from the speakers. How do you emulate that?

/beers
    K.S. Klain

Shooter
    35mm
    I play music too, and listen a lot. A friend of mine is a slight audio nut, but he makes his own cables. I use drop cord. I have a pair of Klipsch La Scala speakers that sound amazing. I run them with a 1200 watt Peavey amp, and I couldn't be happier. It all was given to me, and it is the best sounding rig I have ever used. I don't need to spend a house worth of cash to get good sound.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Bertilsson View Post
    Interesting. My setup is an old Scott 299B tube (valve) amp from 1961...
    I have a Scott 340-B tube amp/receiver (1964?) I bought from a friend in 1979. Alas, my speakers are ones I bought while in high school in 1970 or 71. They came with a non-tube Scott receiver/turntable combo...new at $300. Right in the middle of a Van Morrison song it self-destructed -- a very loud hum and smoke coming out the back...I guess something fried. That must have been 1978.

And even greater alas...I have never had much money for music -- all I have are a few CD's and a bunch of home-recorded cassettes that date back to the 70's (my 2002 VW Eurovan came with a cassette player). I usually listen to Radio Paradise on the computer, but occasionally fire up the Scott 340-B just to give it some exercise.

Just looked up the specs of the 340-B...hmmm 70W...no wonder I can turn it up louder than I want to hear. The on/off switch does not work -- I plug it in to turn it on. So it goes.

Vaughn
    At least with LF landscape, a bad day of photography can still be a good day of exercise.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Vaughn, if you ever come into some spare cash for audio, there's a guy named Craig Ostby that does a very fine job at restoring old Scott and Heathkit amplifiers.

Also, check out what Pierre Sprey does to old Scott amplifiers at Mapleshade records and audio:
    http://shop.mapleshadestore.com/Ultr.../products/178/

I'm going to have him upgrade my Scott amplifier when I have the cash to do so. They are amazing.
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Discoman View Post
    I actually play piano and listen to music. While there isn't much difference beyoned price between the top of the line Yamaha and the top of the line Steinway......
    Have you played a Kawai piano? A few years ago Kawai sponsored a jazz festival near to me and brought in one of their concert grand models. I don't play piano (too many strings for me) but it was very impressive.

They were a bit nervous lending it out for a jazz festival as they had only done classical events up to then. After each act, one Kawai representative polished it and another one tuned it! (although I'm sure it didn't need it). I was the sound engineer for this event and it did sound very good - but then, so do their electronic pianos too.

Steve.
    "People who say things won't work are a dime a dozen. People who figure out how to make things work are worth a fortune" - Dave Rat.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Klainmeister View Post
    I'll disagree. There was some research back in LA during the 80's that showed that the 'warm tone' produced in tubes were attributed to the currents in the tubes being modified by the electro-magnetic interference from the speakers. How do you emulate that?

/beers
    Unless the speakers were on top of the tubes, I don't believe the magnets would do a thing to the tubes. "Tube sound" is a bit like the Knights Templar, a lot of BS to go through to get to some reality.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Klainmeister
    My two favorite tube amps don't sound 'warm' at all. They are extremely fast, dynamic, liquid, punchy, start and stop the speaker drivers extremely quickly, and will give you a very unveiled and clear presentation of what's actually on the source material. There is absolutely nothing euphonic, 'soft', or warm about it.

Some tube amps are this way, but so are some solid state amps.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Bertilsson View Post
    My two favorite tube amps don't sound 'warm' at all. They are extremely fast, dynamic, liquid, punchy, start and stop the speaker drivers extremely quickly, and will give you a very unveiled and clear presentation of what's actually on the source material. There is absolutely nothing euphonic, 'soft', or warm about it.

Some tube amps are this way, but so are some solid state amps.
    I run a solid state power amp with an old Dynaco tube pre-amp. There is none of the tube "warmth" here, none at all - the setup is very neutral, clean, and fast. The "tube sound" that is raved about comes from the output stage only if it is there at all, the signal handling tubes don't "flavor" the sound a bit. As I said, a lot of BS to sort through.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by E. von Hoegh View Post
    I run a solid state power amp with an old Dynaco tube pre-amp. There is none of the tube "warmth" here, none at all - the setup is very neutral, clean, and fast. The "tube sound" that is raved about comes from the output stage only if it is there at all, the signal handling tubes don't "flavor" the sound a bit. As I said, a lot of BS to sort through.
    I'd like to hear your setup!
    It's kind of like with photography. Just because it's expensive doesn't mean it's better. It also takes intelligence in pairing audio components that sound well together.
    For example it would be a huge mistake to put an OTL (output transformer-less) tube power amp on low impedance speakers. It just won't work very well. They work great with high efficiency and medium to high impedance speakers, like Von Schweikert, Snell, Vandersteen, or Heron Audio.

But then again, at this level it becomes more a thing of taste regarding what's good and what isn't, as I find the higher up in price range we go, the more individual philosophies of the people that build them come through in the design and their sound, contrary to for example budget CD players up to about 500 bucks, which have less difference in 'flavor'. So the discussion becomes even more lively, and component matching even more important.

Anyway, I've heard some solid state amps that sound phenomenal, and tube stuff that sounds like crap. It's more about how skilled the designer was in putting it together, and how well the individual components of the audio system were matched. That's how I see it.

Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 456789101112 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin