Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,707   Posts: 1,548,521   Online: 878

Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 56789101112 LastLast
    Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Bertilsson View Post
    Vaughn, if you ever come into some spare cash for audio, there's a guy named Craig Ostby that does a very fine job at restoring old Scott and Heathkit amplifiers.

Also, check out what Pierre Sprey does to old Scott amplifiers at Mapleshade records and audio:
    http://shop.mapleshadestore.com/Ultr.../products/178/

I'm going to have him upgrade my Scott amplifier when I have the cash to do so. They are amazing.
    I had not thought of having it restored. I probably will not have it done...at least as long as it works. I should dig out my turntable I bought back in the early 80's or thereabouts and maybe go buy some used records. It would seem strange to hook up a CD player to it -- like hooking up a digital back to my Eastman View no.2

For several years I thought it was failing. It would have a low hum. It magically "fixed" itself when I removed the cassette deck I had directly above it. A bit of interference going on, I guess. Some of the lettering is gone from around the knobs and switches. It is a bit dusty, which is probably not good for it. I replaced one of the power tubes 20 years ago or so. My BIL also has a Scott Tube receiver, but I do not know what model.

I guess it is safe to say I am not an audiophile.

Vaughn
    At least with LF landscape, a bad day of photography can still be a good day of exercise.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Bertilsson View Post
    My two favorite tube amps don't sound 'warm' at all. They are extremely fast, dynamic, liquid, punchy, start and stop the speaker drivers extremely quickly, and will give you a very unveiled and clear presentation of what's actually on the source material. There is absolutely nothing euphonic, 'soft', or warm about it.

Some tube amps are this way, but so are some solid state amps.
    Hey, leave me alone! I'm just a drummer!
    K.S. Klain

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Klainmeister View Post
    Hey, leave me alone! I'm just a drummer!
    A good one?
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by polyglot View Post
    I agree with Alan.

Audiophiles do tend to get a little weird around their stuff, I mean; silver power cords, 300B single ended amplifiers producing 7 watts costing $25,000 per side, gold plated conductors, multi thousand dollar turntables.........and the guys that can afford this stuff are in their 60s (or better) and partly deaf!!!

Having said that, I do like tube amplifiers as a basic babe magnet.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul Goutiere View Post
    I agree with Alan.

Audiophiles do tend to get a little weird around their stuff, I mean; silver power cords, 300B single ended amplifiers producing 7 watts costing $25,000 per side, gold plated conductors, multi thousand dollar turntables.........and the guys that can afford this stuff are in their 60s (or better) and partly deaf!!!

Having said that, I do like tube amplifiers as a basic babe magnet.
    Yeah, well my tin-foil hat has better reception than your tin-foil hat because I had mine DE-oxygenated before it was gold-plated.

Oh wait. This isn't the psych board is it.
    Michael Batchelor
    Industrial Informatics, Inc.
    www.industrialinformatics.com

The camera catches light. The photographer catches life.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Wooow... He said "Year of the cat" is one of his favorite albums sonically.
    I is mine too... my wife thinks I am silly to love that album so much.
    I like ELO also... Al didn't mention that one.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by polyglot View Post
    To pay attention to room acoustics almost goes without saying. Without a room that the speakers gel with, it's equal to wasting money on something that will never live up to its potential.
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

Shooter
    35mm
    Room treatment is probably THE most overlooked part of listening at home. But it too can get pricey very quickly! One of the better solutions, although few do this, is to have a dedicated music room.

I have heard some very expensive equipment in horrible sounding rooms, while the owner told me how great it sounded! Conversely, I have a friend with a relatively modest system (by today's standards) that sounds amazing in his dedicated room.

Like photography, I think you cross the threshold when you can compare different technologies and start to focus on the ones that appeal to your tastes.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul VanAudenhove View Post
    Room treatment is probably THE most overlooked part of listening at home. But it too can get pricey very quickly!
    Resonances in a room are even more of a problem with live sound as the venue owners don't like us modifying their buildings. Instead we use graphic equalisers to tame the response of the system at points coincident with the room's resonance points creating an overall flat response.

When you see someone using a graphic as a tone control, or worse, with a smiley face curve, it is not being used correctly.

Steve.
    Last edited by Steve Smith; 02-13-2012 at 08:30 AM. Click to view previous post history.
    "People who say things won't work are a dime a dozen. People who figure out how to make things work are worth a fortune" - Dave Rat.

Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 56789101112 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin