Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,940   Posts: 1,557,497   Online: 935

Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 26789101112
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    In my own house I gave judiciously placed colored "sculptures" on the wall made from cardboard egg cartons. They dampen things quite well.
    Michael Batchelor
    Industrial Informatics, Inc.
    www.industrialinformatics.com

The camera catches light. The photographer catches life.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by michaelbsc View Post
    In my own house I gave judiciously placed colored "sculptures" on the wall made from cardboard egg cartons. They dampen things quite well.
    Sorry to disappoint you, but egg cartons do not have enough density to make much difference!

This is all you have to do: http://www.rpginc.com/news/library/roomsizer.pdf

Steve.
    "People who say things won't work are a dime a dozen. People who figure out how to make things work are worth a fortune" - Dave Rat.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Smith View Post
    Sorry to disappoint you, but egg cartons do not have enough density to make much difference!

This is all you have to do: http://www.rpginc.com/news/library/roomsizer.pdf Steve.
    Thanks! I have printed out several copies and lined my walls with it -- the acoustics of the room is greatly improved!
    At least with LF landscape, a bad day of photography can still be a good day of exercise.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Vaughn View Post
    Thanks! I have printed out several copies and lined my walls with it -- the acoustics of the room is greatly improved!

Any Jokes aside...
    Class A, triode or ultralinear, tube rectified, driving decent speakers is nice

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

This is all you have to do: http://www.rpginc.com/news/library/roomsizer.pdf

Steve.
    I don't know. You don't realize how smart my chickens are. I've got dynamic egg cartons.
    Michael Batchelor

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Vaughn View Post
    I hope you used a matte finish paper - the glossy has too many reflections!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul VanAudenhove View Post
    I hope you used a matte finish paper - the glossy has too many reflections!
    Presoak in water for a few hours and glossy no more
    The use of egg cartons throughout the vacum tube history is the explanation behind the chicken head knobs
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	EC_GalleryLarge_VibroChampTop.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	239.0 KB 
ID:	46243

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul Goutiere View Post
    I agree with Alan.

Audiophiles do tend to get a little weird around their stuff, I mean; silver power cords, 300B single ended amplifiers producing 7 watts costing $25,000 per side, gold plated conductors, multi thousand dollar turntables.........and the guys that can afford this stuff are in their 60s (or better) and partly deaf!!!

Having said that, I do like tube amplifiers as a basic babe magnet.
    Parsons is completely right... up to a point. My analog system is not expensive. NAD pre-amp and amp, Project turntable, so-so cartridge, Warfdale Sapphire (yawn!) speakers. Yet with all of that mundane equipment, my sound is really really good. How did I do it? I listened to my local sound engineer and made some minor adjustments in my listening room. I put a rug on the cement floor. I added sound baffling furniture. I added a large bookcase for my vinyl collection. Most importantly, I positioned my speakers optimally. A 1" movement + a very small orientation change for each speaker did a world of good. It didn't cost me a penny in new audio hardware.

That being said, I had a chance to listen to a friend's Macintosh system with all tube electronics and $40,000 speakers. What a HUGE difference. I thought my sound was good but his sound was out of this world. I know we are talking about a quantum leap in equpment, not some stupid little change of speaker or interconnect cables.

I was a sucker an bought a pair of expensive interconnects (with a money-back guarantee, thank God) for my system. It didn't make even the smallest difference. Yet when I told another friend that I spent $300 on stupid cables and then had him listen to the system, he was "blown away" by the sound difference. There was no sound difference, but the placebo effect that $$$ brings. I returned the cables for a refund of course.

Film developer is another beast altogether.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Resonances in a room are even more of a problem with live sound as the venue owners don't like us modifying their buildings. Instead we use graphic equalisers to tame the response of the system at points coincident with the room's resonance points creating an overall flat response.

When you see someone using a graphic as a tone control, or worse, with a smiley face curve, it is not being used correctly.

Steve.
    What? You mean the stereotypical (groan!!) gull wing curve shape applied to EQ sliders doesn't work for all rooms in all situations? Oh Shoot!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I used to love the advice to remove the telephone from the room.

Ok, sure the two little bells were a resonance source. But you have to draw the line at "too weird" somewhere, and for me it was before this.
    Michael Batchelor

Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 26789101112

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin