Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,712   Posts: 1,482,981   Online: 818

Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by bdial View Post
    You mean the electrons don't know the difference?
    There is no difference to notice. It exists only in the fulsome imagination of the audiophool.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Here's a good overview of audio snake-oil products...

http://www.analogrules.com/snakeoil.html

Though these are my fave... http://boingboing.net/2005/11/07/ast...lly-overp.html

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Setup of a $70k turntable, in case you have an afternoon to study it:
    Walker Proscenium Turntable

Here's a pretty good pre/power amplifier combo for speakers with medium impedance ($14k / $140k):
    Atmasphere MP-1 Pre-Amplifier
    Atmasphere MA-3 Power Amplifier

And here are a pair of speakers that would fit that amplifier pretty well:
    Von Schweikert - Click on Products, VR Series, and find the VR-11SE
    You'd have to divorce the better part of $165k to own a pair of these.

I have friends that are obsessed with this stuff, and I just like music. I personally think they're insane, and whatever 'problem' I have with spending a bit too much time fiddling around with films and silver gelatin paper, I feel pretty damned healthy by comparison.
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

Shooter
    Multi Format
    My friends and I have been laughing at this stuff for a decade or two. The audiophools aare way worse than photographers. I remember an article that equated the embossing on the plates of 6550 tube with sound quality....

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    If you're gonna spend money on audio stuff, a good receiver, good speakers and a good turntable are all you really need. And by good, I mean, you need to get lucky at a garage sale and find a complete Sansui setup for $25...

If I had some dough, I'd be getting these... http://www.klipsch.com/klipschorn-floorstanding-speaker

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    My best stuff was free. I have a huge pair of Kenwood/Trio speakers which my brother found in a cupboard in a house he was refurbishing and my main speakers are Acoustic Research AR-4xa which were left behind by the previous owner of the house my mother bought a few years ago. I also have a nice JVC amplifier my father gave me when he couldn't be bothered with separate units any more and bought an all in one system.

Steve.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    That "Walker" turntable "for me" is a little Rube Goldberg like.
    I won't rain on their parade... gota love that it was set up in front of some crappy blinds though.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Smith View Post
    My best stuff was free. I have a huge pair of Kenwood/Trio speakers which my brother found in a cupboard in a house he was refurbishing and my main speakers are Acoustic Research AR-4xa which were left behind by the previous owner of the house my mother bought a few years ago. I also have a nice JVC amplifier my father gave me when he couldn't be bothered with separate units any more and bought an all in one system.

Steve.
    I have a set of AR 4s that my father purchased new about 1968. I found an AR amplifier, working, at a lawnsale for $3. What I listen to is a pair of Canton Karat 100s, a homebrew subwoofer, an extensively modified Soundcraftsman amp. Various signal sources fed to the amp through an old Dynaco pre amp.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by E. von Hoegh View Post
    I have a set of AR 4s that my father purchased new about 1968. I found an AR amplifier, working, at a lawnsale for $3. What I listen to is a pair of Canton Karat 100s, a homebrew subwoofer, an extensively modified Soundcraftsman amp. Various signal sources fed to the amp through an old Dynaco pre amp.
    Interesting. My setup is an old Scott 299B tube (valve) amp from 1961, a pair of Snell EIII speakers, and a Sony SCD-333 SACD player. It sounds good enough for me without breaking the bank, I even got the amp for free. I really get into the music and can listen for hours just enjoying the tunes. (I really wish I still had my Linn turntable, but had to sell it in a financial hardship).

It's too easy to obsess over individual pieces of equipment, regardless what our interests are. I've been to many homes of audiophiles, and while their systems sound great, their record collection leave a lot to be desired. Sometimes I bring music that I really love, but is poorly recorded... It's amazing how bad those recordings sound in these big buck systems... I admit to being a bit sneaky like that, but I can't help myself. Icelandic artist Johann Johannsson, for example, released a spectacularly beautiful album called 'Fordlandia'. It's basically about Henry Ford's utopian society, and if you're not moved by the music you must be pretty numb inside. It's just gorgeous music. To watch how they're torn between the beauty of the music, and just how flat and poor the recording is, is majestically funny. Or, if I want to listen to reggae on their big Martin Logan electrostatic speakers, and the whole system falls on its face, because it doesn't rock or boogie... Or how about some Ramones?
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Hey, guess where Martin-Logans are made??

Just got the Ramones on vinyl for X-mas, interestingly enough!

Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin