Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,691   Posts: 1,548,908   Online: 949

Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast
    Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Tried following the OP's link but kept ending up at James Randi Educational Foundation

I think I have proof of the supernatural. My darkroom is possessed.

Neither selenium intensification, new coccine retouching, condenser head light nor dodging and burning could bring out the detail in my negative from the 4x5 negative of the happy couple's first dance. So I tried another happy couple's first walk and the 4x5 condenser wouldn't cover 6x6. The siphon broke twice, at least the floor's clean, twice. But the drymount press, vacuum pump and voltage stabilizer did not need washing. Twice.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Beware of the recent (post 2000) so called "remastered" CDs. I have found that in most cases the older the CD edition the better sounding is the digital transfer.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill Burk View Post
    The siphon broke twice, at least the floor's clean, twice.
    A few year's ago, I fitted a new central heating system for a friend and did some other plumbing work. When I called him a few weeks later to check on it, he told me it was fine but that his washing machine was now leaking, adding that it was the first time the floor had been washed for five years!

Steve.
    "People who say things won't work are a dime a dozen. People who figure out how to make things work are worth a fortune" - Dave Rat.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Lionel1972 View Post
    Beware of the recent (post 2000) so called "remastered" CDs. I have found that in most cases the older the CD edition the better sounding is the digital transfer.
    +1. I have some Telarc and Deutsche Grammophon discs from the mid to late 1980s that are far better than some of the latest stuff.
    Last edited by E. von Hoegh; 02-01-2012 at 09:43 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Interesting and relevant, Neil Young's thoughts on the matter....

http://www.cnn.com/2012/01/31/tech/w...html?hpt=hp_c2
    "Only dead fish follow the stream"

[APUG Portfolio] [APUG Blog] [Website]

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by keithwms View Post

Saw that yesterday. My friend was quick to joke "Of course Neil Young wants music listened to on vinyl....his music is only tolerable on that format".

Still am, and will continue to be, a vinyl guy.
    K.S. Klain

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by keithwms View Post

Even compared to a well recorded CD, compressed MP3 or AAC files sound like serrated dog doo-doo.
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Bertilsson View Post
    Even compared to a well recorded CD, compressed MP3 or AAC files sound like serrated dog doo-doo.
    I concur...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Bertilsson View Post

Do you mean "poorly recorded CD"? A well recorded CD is pretty good...

We're working on a generation that may never have heard music on anything but a compressed file. Will they be like the folks years ago who, when given a properly vine ripened tomato, didn't like it?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by E. von Hoegh View Post
    Do you mean "poorly recorded CD"? A well recorded CD is pretty good...

We're working on a generation that may never have heard music on anything but a compressed file. Will they be like the folks years ago who, when given a properly vine ripened tomato, didn't like it?
    I mean any CD, honestly. And I agree that digital can sound extremely excellent when done well. But as we agree, not with compressed music files from iTunes.
    It brings back memories of the whole SACD / DVD-Audio scenario. The music industry, especially Sony, backed these high resolution formats, and after releasing it while touting it to sound as good as vinyl, pushing expensive SACD players like mad, they figured out that the majority of the population didn't care and thought CDs or MP3s sounded well enough.

I take your comment about tomatoes, and compare that to the beer and coffee industry. It is now a jungle of micro breweries and niche coffee roasters that cater to a larger and larger percentage of the population; well those that aren't afraid of things that actually have flavor. Soon Maxwell House, Folgers, Gevalia, and McGarvey's will be exotic coffees.
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin