Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,933   Posts: 1,585,581   Online: 784

Page 1 of 12 123456711 ... LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Last edited by vpwphoto; 01-30-2012 at 12:13 PM. Click to view previous post history.

CGW

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Not exactly news to anyone who ever thumbed a copy of the Absolute Sound. Pound for pound, high end audio caters to way more DSM-IV disorders than photography. At least we get outside more. BTW, you should see what truly exotic cables and interconnects go for.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    It is interesting. Like you I feel better.

Jeff

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Kimber Kable BiFocal XL Speaker Cables
    Price:
    $1,810.00

Comprised of hundreds of components per pair of cables, the TriFocal-XL is formatted in a seven layer, poly-concentric geometry. This is one of the most sophisticated loudspeaker cables ever designed. Termination alone takes a full eight hours to complete a single matched pair. A production run of 250 feet (76 meters) of this cable takes over 50 hours of machine time. TriFocal-XL will allow the most intimate union possible between triwired loudspeakers and an amplifier.
    Prices start at $1810.00

A lot of live concerts can be heard for that sum.

I remember when at Uni an audiophile got into an argument with a guy at the Student Union during a performance. The audiophile was making the fervent case to a disinterested stand-up bass player that his audio system sounded better than the fellow's live music bass playing!

When the bass player turned away from the audiophile passion, the latter grabbed the bassist and started hitting him, causing a general melee of band members versus. after their break, the band later took the stage to a rousing cheer.

The band, as I recall, was very good, with or without beer, microphones, tubes, or digital processors.

Funny that.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    The prices and specifications of the interconnects is hilarious when you realise what they connect to internally in the amps, speakers, etc.

Steve.
    "People who say things won't work are a dime a dozen. People who figure out how to make things work are worth a fortune" - Dave Rat.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Aristophanes View Post
    Kimber Kable BiFocal XL Speaker Cables
    Price:
    $1,810.00
    That's just a cheap cable.

8AG consists of sixteen silver conductors (white and clear jackets) that utilize Kimber's proven braiding technique. The insulating dielectric is high pressure/low temperature extruded Teflon. The individual conductors are hyper-pure and arranged in VariStrand conductor geometry.
    Prices start at $5760.00
    That's more like it. Probably sounds about $10 better than using ordinary heavy duty stranded copper cable.

As you might know (link below) I sometimes build valve (tube) based equipment for recording (for friends rather than commercially). I do not use expensive gold plated sockets or oxygen free copper insulated with powdered hen's teeth mixed with unicorn tears. I prefer to use ordinary components.

If you listen to records made between the 1940s and the 1970s, they sound great and were recorded with very simple equipment with tin/lead soldered joints, tin plated connectors and ordinary copper wire.

Steve.
    "People who say things won't work are a dime a dozen. People who figure out how to make things work are worth a fortune" - Dave Rat.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    This reminds me of something I read in New Scientist magazine years ago. The author had been visiting an audio trade show and noticed that one of the top speaker manufacturers was demonstrating their kit using strangely familiar orange speaker cable. It turned out they had popped over the road to the DIY store to buy a 13-amp outdoor extension lead, which worked as well as anything else.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    You mean the electrons don't know the difference?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    A fool and their money are soon parted.
    Items for sale or trade at www.Camera35.com

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by bdial View Post
    You mean the electrons don't know the difference?
    Technically, neither do photons, if you get my d-d-d-drift.

Page 1 of 12 123456711 ... LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin