Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,472   Posts: 1,570,962   Online: 794

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images

What a waste -- moldering Rolleis and a Leica

So I'm in a local antique store looking at some old cameras (specifically, a Miranda Sensorex) when two guys walk behind me, one saying to the other, "Hey, should buy some of these." "No," the other guy says, "I've got a bunch of Rolleiflexes sitting at home already."

I couldn't resist asking "Do you ever use them?"

He went on to tell me that he has eight Rolleis that are sitting in a closed wooden cabinet, sitting upright in the foam of a Halliburton case. I suggested he pull them out and put them to use, as they're too nice and useful to be left just sitting. "I collect guitars, too," he said, "but I don't have time to play them either." He then said that a nice German lady had given him her husband's Leica, a "real nice old one made around 1940" with telephoto and case.

"If you saw it, you'd say 'Wow, what a nice camera!'"

"No," I said, "I'd ask you if you wanted to sell it."

He didn't take the bait, wandered off without giving this waste of good German technology another thought. Left me wondering about all the other people out there who hold onto cameras (or stereo tube amps) that could be making beautiful images or music, but they can't be bothered to use them.

Shooter
    Sub 35mm
    Images
    Oh well, they are just gear.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    This is what I love about old cameras: wondering about what sorts of memories it captured when it was bought, and allowing it to "sing" once more.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Very Sad, These cameras were made to be used, not just displayed, I too collect classic cameras, and every one in my collection gets used for what it was made for, taking,I hope, great photographs,
    Richard

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have rather a lot of cameras (too many probably...)

My firm belief is that they should all be used for taking pictures as often as possible...

But if I'm honest - 'real life' gets in the way of my hobbies and interests far too much for my liking and, whilst my attitude is quite different to the 'collector' you mention, the sad reality is that most of my cameras haven't probably had any much use than his.

It isn't about not being bothered, it is about time and not having enough of it

Oh well.... when I retire
    Steve

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by steven_e007 View Post
    My firm belief is that they should all be used for taking pictures as often as possible...

But if I'm honest - 'real life' gets in the way of my hobbies and interests far too much for my liking
    At least the intent is there.

Steve.
    "People who say things won't work are a dime a dozen. People who figure out how to make things work are worth a fortune" - Dave Rat.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    When the man walked away did your BS detector start to buzz?
    There's always someone that can do you one better(in his mind)
    Heavily sedated for your protection.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Talk about loving something to death... Letting a camera sit and rot, rather than using it, is indeed such a waste. To me, there is no camera too nice to use. It would be like saying a Stradivarius violin is too nice to play. Unless it is being played, the beautiful tones are unheard. The same goes for cameras. Unused, the violin is a hunk of wood. Unused, the cameras are but pieces of metal and glass.

---
    I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=36.790889,-90.481042

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    A couple of years ago at the PHSNE auction, there was an 11x14 kodak studio camera with three backs, two lenses and a semi-centennial stand. All of it was in vey good, quite usable condition. The person who bought it has it installed in her living room "with the other one" and refuses to think about it as a tool. It looks nice. (?!!!) It went for less that $250. I had to leave the auction before it came up and have kicked myself ever since, and asked her if she wants to sell it every time I see her. No go so far, but I can always hope...

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Trask View Post
    "No," I said, "I'd ask you if you wanted to sell it."
    Back in high school, a guy in my Savannah, GA neighborhood had an amazing vintage 60s convertible Jaguar, one of the two seaters, super sexy car.

He spent years turning down offers to sell it, and just as many years telling everyone how he was going to restore it one day. It slowly turned into a moldy, rusting pile of goo, much to the dismay of the neighbors, as it was permanently parked in the front yard.
    Parker Smith Photography, Inc.
    Atlanta, GA

Commercial & Fine Art Photography
    Portrait Photography

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin