Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,943   Posts: 1,585,765   Online: 1168

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Shutter Sound

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Agreed on the Argus and Mamiya 645 -- the latter of which I describe as "ka-chunk!" Also disappointing is the 'bzzsht' of my electronic shutter Nikons (F4 and N2020). What are your most satisfying shutter sounds, the ones that just feel right?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    A focal plane shutter can be as quiet, listen to a Leica. Just takes some engineering to do but b/c the majority of cameras were slrs there was little incentive to design a quiter focal plane sutter.

I do have a preference for leaf shutter cameras and one reason I like the Contraflex and Contrarex oldies even for slrs when it comes to 35mm slr systems even though you have to wind the advance to reset the mirror which I always found a good thing as it reminded me to wind the film and not have a surprises when I pushed the shutter release.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    A motor-driven Nikon F
    It was very effective in a "human factors" experiment I did many years ago.

I had a regular assignment to photograph a really boring and PITA ceremony, individual shots of about 50 people getting handed class completion certificates.
    Usually this was shot with a Rollei or a Graflex XL press camera, nice and quiet...
    One night I decided to use the F and motor. Magically, I didn't get assigned to that one any more.

Fond memories of that sound since.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Ziizzz .... KLANK ... klunk That's what my trusty (some of them are) old Kiev says on slow speeds.
    I think this unattractive, old orphan from Soviet Russia, has a right to be loud as it sucks in those photons.
    charlie

Southern Forest Region, Western Australia
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    I looked at this thread out of vague disinterest - It is seriously boring

I hate the sound of my Sinar Shutter, but I love its consistency and practicality, which leads to predictable negs, which is what counts - The best thing about the Compound shutter is its quietness, like a Harley Davidson, noise equals loss of energy

Stop wasting your energy on such camera collector topics and get out there and use your cameras to tell real stories that have some substance

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    ^huh? So you first call this thread boring, then answer the question (ironically), then comment again about the validity of the topic?

Clive - nice topic! I like my Oly XA ity bitty ping shutter, tis a joy compared to my Mamiya 645
    Andy

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Btw, Clive has some stellar photos in the gallery, if he wants to take a couple min break to talk about photography and the sensory aspects of it, what harm is that?
    Last edited by zsas; 02-02-2012 at 08:43 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: TypeOhhh
    Andy

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by jbaphoto View Post
    I looked at this thread out of vague disinterest - It is seriously boring

I hate the sound of my Sinar Shutter, but I love its consistency and practicality, which leads to predictable negs, which is what counts - The best thing about the Compound shutter is its quietness, like a Harley Davidson, noise equals loss of energy

Stop wasting your energy on such camera collector topics and get out there and use your cameras to tell real stories that have some substance

priceless !

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Haha such a strange topic, but I'll bite. I like the Zzzzzzzz Click sound either during the self timer or longer exposures.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Good morning;

Well, in spite of the observation of JBAPhoto, I am amused by all of the descriptions of the sounds our equipment makes. For a long time, I have tried to describe the sound of my 1964 Minolta SR-1b as a "FLACK--Vszzzt--FLOCK!!"

Then there is the Koni-Omega Rapid M. The leaf shutter in the lens is quite predictable and discrete, but then there is the sound it makes when you pull out the plunger on the magazine and push it back in to advance the film to the next frame and cock the shutter. It can be a bit disconcerting to anyone in law enforcement or the military. You will get the idea if I simply say that it sounds very much like a .45 ACP round as the slide is pulled back and then it goes into battery.
    Enjoy;

Ralph Javins, Latte Land, Washington

When they ask you; "How many Mega Pixels you got in your camera?"
    just tell them; "I use activated silver bromide crystals tor my image storage media."

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin