Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,813   Posts: 1,581,579   Online: 908

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Shutter Sound

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by David Brown View Post
    Anyone else heard the story that the word "kodak" came from the sound of a simple shutter?
    Apochryphal, AFAIK.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by David Brown View Post
    Anyone else heard the story that the word "kodak" came from the sound of a simple shutter?
    hi david

i was watching a movie on the life and times of george eastman ( pbs special: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UfhsM15nElM )
    and it seemed to say kodak was a made up word .. no meaning ... ( 6:48 ) -- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZwBlf..._order&list=UL )

- john

Shooter
    Multi Format
    That PBS movie is great I showed it to my photoclass almost a year ago.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Smith View Post
    They all sound great when they're working. It's when they hesitate or stop half way that they cease being musical.

Steve.
    Here, here. But some do have a more distinct sound than others. Weighing in, I would give a nod to either the Hasselblad 553EL/X or an F2 w/MD2 chewing through film whilst set on "M3." Or, for a quieter touch...an M series.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The sound that my cell phone makes when I'm 'sneaking' a Q&D of grandson sounds somewhere between the copal and the compur but not as quiet as my compur electronic shutter. I was not aware that either copal or compur made mechanical shutters small enough to fit in behind that small lens on the back.
    8-)

Ken
    Quando omni flunkus moritati (R. Green)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    A Nikon F with the mirror locked up sounds pretty nice. A Nikkormat FTN with the mirror locked up still sounds like a trap being sprung.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    im in love with the shutter sound of my gx680 klap klabomb :-)

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Actually, I quite like the sound of my Hasselblad 500C when I have locked the focal plane shutter up and expose by just firing the leaf shutter. A sort of shiurrt sound.

“The contemplation of things as they are, without error or confusion, without substitution or imposture, is in itself a nobler thing than a whole harvest of invention”

Francis Bacon

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The sound of a Hasselblad is easily my favorite. Those are cameras where you you can hear them from across the room and not even have to look to know what it is

I like the sound of my Mamiya too, but there's alot of torque.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    The pentax67's 165mm lens has a leaf shutter in it. To use it, you set the camera's FP shutter to 1/8th and cock the lens' shutter. When you release, you hear a KLUNK...click..KLUNK.
    "When the pin is pulled, Mr. Grenade is not our friend."
    - U.S. Marine Corps Grenade Training Manual

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin