Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,938   Posts: 1,557,284   Online: 1106

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: Shutter Sound

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images

Shutter Sound

The "shhhlik" of a leaf shutter is a beautiful sound and music to my ears, particularly the Copal, as they have that extra "H" which the focal planes don't have. On the subject of the perfect “shhlik” or "shhhlik" sound of a leaf shutter. Do APUG members have a favourite, be it focal plane or leaf? For me it would probably be the sound of a Vitomatic IIb on 1/15 second. Preferably just after it’s been serviced and from the northern end of the vineyard.

“The contemplation of things as they are, without error or confusion, without substitution or imposture, is in itself a nobler thing than a whole harvest of invention”

Francis Bacon

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    You need to hear a good Compound, and I much prefer the sound of a Copmur early or late to a Copal.

I did post some audio files of two Compurs in a post on shutter speedn testing and a 1913 Copur still sounds snooth and is remarkably accurate A Copal isn't after abot a fifth of that tome

Ian

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Clllankk! (with extra emphasis on the 'k'!): the commanding hue and din of a Pentax 67 firing.
    I looked like the very odd man out last week on a viewing platform over a waterfall then everybody stepped well back after the camera fired. What did they expect, a Chinese firecracker??

My Zero Image pinhole has no shutter sound at all with a 'sliding shutter'. Great for spying!

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Perhaps not my favorite but a very unique sound of the Pentax Spotmatic at slower speeds... the shlack kak kak of the curtains.

I do enjoy my Yahsicamats for the little zit that makes you questioin if it actually did take a picture, since I never felt the burn of photons, shaking ground, a huge mirror barn door slap up or that typical shake many cameras make when they are just happy with the small sample of light entering their retina.

I thought I was the only nut that appreciated the sounds of different shutters.

Anyone can make a Digital print, but only a photographer can make a photograph.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by paul ron View Post
    Perhaps not my favorite but a very unique sound of the Pentax Spotmatic at slower speeds... the shlack kak kak of the curtains.

I do enjoy my Yahsicamats for the little zit that makes you questioin if it actually did take a picture, since I never felt the burn of photons, shaking ground, a huge mirror barn door slap up or that typical shake many cameras make when they are just happy with the small sample of light entering their retina.

I thought I was the only nut that appreciated the sounds of different shutters.

Wonderful, have you ever thought of writing poetry?

“The contemplation of things as they are, without error or confusion, without substitution or imposture, is in itself a nobler thing than a whole harvest of invention”

Francis Bacon

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    i enjoy the thwaaaaak of my graflex slr
    music to my ears

Shooter
    Multi Format
    A Compound at longer speeds is my favorite - click...............................click.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Compur leaf shutters---the 50s Compur-Rapids in a TLR, or an early rimset---but I don't have the onomatopoeic vocabulary to spell the sound they make. At the end of the day I don't think I ever really heard a leaf shutter I didn't like, but the Compur mechanics have something unique.

At the other extreme, I'm lately very taken with the enormous flapping, crashing noise of the Optika 6x9 SLR. It's such a steampunk beast of a camera in the first place that it seems totally consistent for it to make a noise like metal-shop class at a school for goblins.

-NT
    Nathan Tenny
    San Diego, CA, USA

The lady of the house has to be a pretty swell sort of person to put up with the annoyance of a photographer.
    -The Little Technical Library, _Developing, Printing, And Enlarging_

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    the loud clunk of the shutter and mirror slap of a Mamiya 645 is something to behold - that is NOT a stealthy camera. Also, my Fuji 6x8 rangefinder has an astonishingly loud shutter for such a (relatively) modern camera. I like it more than the Fuji electronic 645 cameras - where the 'bleep' and motor noise is louder than the shutter...

Marc!
    Marc Morel
    photographie argentique!
    ------------
    http://mrmarcmorel.wordpress.com/

DBP

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    What about the 'clang' of an old Argus?

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin