Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,564   Posts: 1,545,308   Online: 837

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Worried a Pentax Digital Spot Meter looks too much like a GUN

I'm bidding on a Pentax DSM. I've had one in the past and well, these things tend to be a lot like Leicas; somehow you *always* regret selling them! I know I do. Back in the day when I (previously) owned one, I remember feeling uneasy pulling it out in New York City, for its resemblance to a firearm. This time around I'm thinking to paint the rear part of the cover in bright yellow.

I know lots of Apug'rs shoot LF and the Pentax is often the meter of choice. Wondering if anyone has any thoughts on the matter.
    -
    Daniel

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    I had my Pentax meter mistaken for a gun twice.

The first in 1990 by a store clerk at Canyonlands NP in Utah. After the carload of armed rangers determined that it really was a light meter I asked where the clerk was from and then opinioned that they hadn't eliminated the inbreeding problems there yet.

The second was standing in line at a McDonalds in Annapolis, MD in about 1994. An older gentleman informed me that the Zone VI holster looked too much like a gun and besides lightmeters were to be worn around your neck. I thanked him for his input. but the meter was staying where it was and I didn't like anything around my neck, even neckties.

Nothing since 2001.

It really doesn't resemble a firearm, most don't have a lens on the front. Today it looks like a funny looking camera.

Don't worry.

Joe
    There is no such thing as taking too much time, because your soul is in that picture. -Ruth Bernhard

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Never had that problem, but I don't wear it in a holster either. Sorry, like photo vests, too geeky for me. Just my opinion, I'm sure some here love the holster.

ROL
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Although, I've never had an issue, I have thought about its casual resemblance to a handgun, from a distance.

I don't use the holster it came with, preferring to carry it with my packed gear. It is usually the last thing to come out after setting up the camera. By that time I've already judged the light to be suitable enough to compose a shot. Mostly, the meter merely confirms the exposure and any contraction or expansion necessary (per the ZS) of the negative. Any legal authority observing its use in locales I generally shoot after a large camera is already tripoded, is likely to have the common sense and experience not to be concerned. Frankly, I do not like shooting with others around at all, so my experiences are somewhat limited in that regard.

BTW, and I've heard this from quite a number of Western shooters, that many actually carry and have had to pull out their actual handguns for personal protection. Being all consumed under a darkcloth in remote locations, I can certainly appreciate the desire for this level of personal security. So, I might pose a parallel question: How many LF shooters actually carry?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    With the new gun laws should fit right in.
    Items for sale or trade at www.Camera35.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    There is a de facto standard way of marking things that look like guns: you paint the tip of the "barrel" safety orange. It won't solve all problems, but it should give some people (e.g., law enforcement) a quick visual indicator, and it seems to make even the casual viewer a little less likely to parse the shape as a gun.

I worked on a satellite phone once that, when the antenna was extended, had a disconcerting resemblance to a Luger. We actually had an engineer held at gunpoint by law enforcement; she was out somewhere making a call and suddenly there was a cop yelling at her to drop the weapon, and she was standing there in confusion saying "*What* weapon?", and it was all very fraught. We went out and bought some safety-orange stickers for our test phones after that.

-NT
    Nathan Tenny
    San Diego, CA, USA

The lady of the house has to be a pretty swell sort of person to put up with the annoyance of a photographer.
    -The Little Technical Library, _Developing, Printing, And Enlarging_

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Since I wear a big pack w/ hipbelt (for the 8x10) and that makes it impractical to where anything on my belt., I keep the Pentax DSM in the pack.

But I might start doing it when using my little 5x7 since I can carry that on the tripod and the holders in a shoulder bag.

Vaughn

PS...thank goodness the Pentax DSM does not have much of a kick when one pulls the trigger -- we'd all have black eyes!
    Last edited by Vaughn; 02-09-2012 at 03:05 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    At least with LF landscape, a bad day of photography can still be a good day of exercise.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I think less of an issue now. It looks like many of the cheapy digital camcorders.

Now the rifle stock mount I have for a slr - that's a different story.
    "Far more critical than what we know or do not know is what we do not want to know." - Eric Hoffer

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have a Soligor analog spot meter that looks like a gun and I was wondering when will someone raise their hands in the air when I try to measure light for a portrait... it is a matter of time but then I will be in trouble
    Mihai Costea

"There's more to the picture
    Than meets the eye." - Neil Young

Galleries:My PN & My APUG

Shooter
    Multi Format
    People have been killed for not dropping their cell phone(weapon) when told to.
    The officer has a bit of adrenalin pumping when he believes someone may be pointing a weapon at him.
    I'd say paint it pink but the local gun shop has some very delicate pink handguns in their cases.
    Probably the stickers or dots on the thing would make it look less like a weapon, but when the cop says
    to drop it, that's a real good idea.
    If you have it on the neckstrap, hold the strap, drop it and gently set it on the ground.
    Heavily sedated for your protection.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin