Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,745   Posts: 1,515,636   Online: 873

Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Smith View Post
    So do I. I wish I had saved up a bit more and bough an SQ instead of an ETRS.
    that's funny you should say that, I have an SQ that I hardly ever use these days...

and +1 one more for the chaps that have said goodbye to the dSLR

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MattKing View Post
    I take turns orphaning various formats
    And some of us run orphanages for them.

Steve.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    35mm

I haven't found much use for it lately, expect shooting some slides and project them.. Anything serious goes with MF or 4x5 / 8x10 and I am happy with snapshots taken using pocket size d*****l (which is actually a little sad)

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Interesting answers. I'm scratching my head at some of these though. It seems that some people do "serious" work with MF or LF but ditched 35mm. Does that imply that 35mm is a "joke" format just play around with? Where is all this "serious" work in larger formats? Last time I checked, MANY great photographers have used 35mm very successfully. Not trying to start yet another format war here (please let's not), but I'm just curious of why the distinction between "serious" (MF and LF) and non (35mm). As far as I am concerned, ANY format can be used for serious (whatever that means anyway) work, as long as what's between the ears is working, from half frame to ULF.
    Last edited by MaximusM3; 03-04-2012 at 08:36 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    4X5 for me. Sadly, I have to confess that I have a Speed Graphic, with plenty of holders, sitting in its case for years that I have never used to take an image. I don't have the facilities to develop or print 4X5 film, so it sits loved but unused. I would like to find a 120 back for it, at less than stratospheric prices, to get some use out of the camera.

I had my eye on an 8x10, but while I try to convince myself I could contact print with it, I fear it would become but another pampered house guest.

---
    I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?jzbz4c

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Good morning;

(1.) First; interesting comments. I am surprised at the number of people who consider 135 or 35mm film to be an "orphan."

(2.) My own orphan is a Minolta Instant-PRO that takes the old Polaroid Spectra instant film. I have not taken a photograph with it. However, it is possible that the Impossible Project People will perform a miracle and come up with something to work reliably with it. It could happen. If I want a spare, one of the local shops has another Minolta Instant-PRO on on a shelf for sale for $100.

(3.) The talk here about reloading 126 cartridges has me looking also at some of my older non-used simple cameras again. I have been reloading Minolta 16mm film cartridges for a while now. It is used now when I want to do something fun. I had a Minolta 16 II in my right front pocket for many years. I might do that again.
    Enjoy;

Ralph Javins, Latte Land, Washington

When they ask you; "How many Mega Pixels you got in your camera?"
    just tell them; "I use activated silver bromide crystals tor my image storage media."

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MaximusM3 View Post
    I'm just curious of why the distinction between "serious" (MF and LF) and non (35mm). As far as I am concerned, ANY format can be used for serious work, as long as what's between the ears is working, from half frame to ULF.
    It's purely personal as far as I'm concerned. These isn't a general standard we all have to adhere to.

There are though significant differences in the physical look we can get from various formats.

Personally I came to a point where smoothness of tone transitions and detail became more important, HP5 and TX in 35-mm started being too gritty for me, and not just in my own work. For me the grittiness was competing for my attention with detail I wanted wanted to see.

So I adjusted, I became willing to give up faster films and carry a speed light and a monopod or tripod and use bigger cameras...

This weekend I've been printing some shots from a trip I took to Monument Valley a few years back. The difference in look and feel between the 400 speed 35-mm and the TXP in 4x5 I shot on that trip is stark on an 11x14 print.

It's not that one is better than the other for everybody, it's just that I have a preference about what I want and have decided that the extra effort of slower films and larger formats are well worth the sacrifices for important stuff.
    Mark Barendt, Ignacio, CO

"We do not see things the way they are. We see things the way we are." Anaïs Nin

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by markbarendt View Post
    It's purely personal as far as I'm concerned. These isn't a general standard we all have to adhere to.

There are though significant differences in the physical look we can get from various formats.

Personally I came to a point where smoothness of tone transitions and detail became more important, HP5 and TX in 35-mm started being too gritty for me, and not just in my own work. For me the grittiness was competing for my attention with detail I wanted wanted to see.

So I adjusted, I became willing to give up faster films and carry a speed light and a monopod or tripod and use bigger cameras...

This weekend I've been printing some shots from a trip I took to Monument Valley a few years back. The difference in look and feel between the 400 speed 35-mm and the TXP in 4x5 I shot on that trip is stark on an 11x14 print.

It's not that one is better than the other for everybody, it's just that I have a preference about what I want and have decided that the extra effort of slower films and larger formats are well worth the sacrifices for important stuff.
    Hi Mark,

No issue with this whatsoever. All of us make choices based on a number of parameters. My issue is more with the word and meaning of "serious". Meaningful work can be done with any format and regardless of format. You've made your choices based on what you want for your work (grain, detail, size, etc) but I'm sure your 35mm work wasn't any less "serious" because of grain, detail, size, just different.

Max

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Ralph Javins View Post
    Good morning;

(1.) First; interesting comments. I am surprised at the number of people who consider 135 or 35mm film to be an "orphan."

(3.) The talk here about reloading 126 cartridges has me looking also at some of my older non-used simple cameras again.
    I am too. I love 35mm, as it can be used in just about anything. Sure you get a small negative, but it's great for enlargements if you get some of the nicer stuff. Plus, it's cheap, so I'm not worried about anything going too wrong with it, especially when I adapt a camera. (alright, the Brownie 127 is unmodified, but still)
    35mm cameras have some of the most aesthetically pleasing and unusual designs around. Just look at most manual SLRs before electronics took over. And my Ricoh Mirai looks like a video camera. (Although it is extradonarily ergonomically designed)
    I see no reason why 35mm and Medium Format can't just coexist. I can't comment on Large Format, as I don't own any LF cameras.

Reloading 126 cartridges is wonderfully simple; the only fiddly bit being getting the cartridge open in the first place. That shouldn't be a problem if you get a newer one; the plastic won't be brittle. It only gets really fiddly when you decide to be awkward and shoot the original film in the cartridge, like I did.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MaximusM3 View Post
    Hi Mark,

No issue with this whatsoever. All of us make choices based on a number of parameters. My issue is more with the word and meaning of "serious". Meaningful work can be done with any format and regardless of format. You've made your choices based on what you want for your work (grain, detail, size, etc) but I'm sure your 35mm work wasn't any less "serious" because of grain, detail, size, just different.

Max
    I simply think that it needs to be understood that the word serious as used here relates only to a certain person's choices. It's not global in meaning.

I still carry and use 35mm and I have made it into a personally more acceptable tool by using slower film, lights, tripods, etcetera and it has serious uses but, it is for me used mostly as a snap shot or testing format, and or for documentation (i.e. a maybe I want to come back here with a bigger camera format, a lets see if this lighting works format, a what does FP4 do here format).

For example at a wedding I might shoot a bunch of 35mm stuff of the "lower salable value" shots, virtually all the candid's at a wedding fall into this category. They are essentially high value snapshots (that can be very well done) but they would rarely be considered for anything larger than an 8x10 and where proofs on 5x5 paper (or Internet ready scans) are more often than not, the end of the line. That is serious work but really more about getting the bride's buddies to hire me for their weddings or their baby portraits and for grandma to hire me for her 50th anniversary celebration than it is about creating art.

For the more important stuff, shots where the bride or maybe her mom may actually be serious about wanting to pay for large prints, I'll "get serious too" and grab for a bigger camera.
    Mark Barendt, Ignacio, CO

"We do not see things the way they are. We see things the way we are." Anaïs Nin

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin