Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,931   Posts: 1,585,450   Online: 1068

Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456789 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Simplify??

Unlike many of you I am just recently re-starting with this hobby, and realizing that there is a lot I need yet to learn. The last couple of years I spent a lot of time learning how to use cameras and accessories, but I am not so sure I learned much about the art side of photography. I have learned how to shop pretty good though. And I am a mean bidder!

So this year I decided to simplify so I could hopefully learn a little more about actually making photographs. You know, composition, lighting, visual balance, those kinds of things. So now I am working very closely with just three medium format cameras. When I am traveling via air, and hiking, I use a 6x6 folder. When I am running around town in my car I carry the 6x9 rangefinder next to me on the seat. For birthday parties, school events and macro work I work with a great 645 SLR. Think of it as kind of a one camera, one lens kind of thing...only with three cameras instead of just one.

By exclusion I guess that means that my digital, 35mm and 5x4 cameras are pretty much orphaned, and that is pretty much how it has worked out so far this year.

But I still fiddle around a bit with pinhole, just because it is so much fun and there don't seem to be a lot of rules. I also picked up an 8x10 Cambo recently that is a little rough around the edges, and I am trying to learn how to make paper negatives with it, as well as how to repair bellows. Finally, in between all of this I am still fiddling around with this developing/enlarging thingy.

Sigh, maybe things it ain't quite as simple as I had hoped. There is just so much neat stuff I haven't figured out how to do yet.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Half-frame 35mm on the Tessina.

- Leigh
    “Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.” - Plato

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I don't have any orphaned formats, yet .
    Ben

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Hasselblad H1D Outfit, especially since I converted the Imacon Ixpress 528C Digital Back to work on my Fuji GX680s (I mean why would you shoot 6x4.5 when you can shoot 6x8 with lens movements too).

I don't use my Pentax LXs or Super A much these days either.

Images
    All of them.
    Technological society has succeeded in multiplying the opportunities for pleasure, but it has great difficulty in generating joy. Pope Paul VI

So, I think the "greats" were true to their visions, once their visions no longer sucked. Ralph Barker 12/2004

Shooter
    35mm
    It's 4,5x6 on 120 film for me. I prefer 6x6 instead. Getting a few more exposures out of a roll is no reason to use smaller formats, since usually 12 frames are just enough and I can still crop a little, when the square format doesn't fit a subject. When I need more frames and no great quality for large prints, I'll use 35mm film or even 35mm half frame when I'm in that shoot-everything-no-matter-what mood.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    11x14. I've got a complete camera, lens, and glass plate holders that can do double duty with film, and even a partial box of 11x14 film. But it's such a pain in the ass to use it, the camera sits around just looking pretty and not doing anything. My 5x12 and whole plate cameras get more use, and they're far stranger sizes.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    35mm, now that one does not need to shoot slides of one's prints anymore.
    At least with LF landscape, a bad day of photography can still be a good day of exercise.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    35mm, but the Hasselblad is feeling ever increasingly more abandoned. I've decided to keep it because the prices of used medium format digital backs for it are beginning to approach the doable range on Ebay.
    Jim

Shooter
    Large Format
    4x5....Much prefer 5x7 or 8x10 on a tripod and 35mm or 120 for speed
    John Bowen

Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456789 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin