Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,956   Posts: 1,522,906   Online: 1163

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    i should also add, i can't design, draw or make anything "look good" unless
    it is found that way ... "styling" / "stylist work" is WAY out of my comfort zone ...
    ask me how ..

Shooter
    35mm
    Photographing people I don't know in the street is really outside my comfort zone.
    Very fast paced subjects are also outside my comofrot zone.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    My comfort zone is people photography mainly studio and outdoor and a little street, although like most people I've tried to be in the past to be a jack of all trades, when I first started shooting as a teenager, It didn't take me long to decide for example that I'm the World's worst landscape photographer and that lugging my gear up and down the countryside in all weathers didn't appeal to me, and even less after I served in the military and it's all been done before better than I could do it, I try to play to my strengths
    Ben

Shooter
    Multi Format
    things that have no desire or idea of their own - objects. put anything that moves or may have it's own opinion in front of me and I go to pieces...

anonymity helps too

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Heh, I'm congenitally uncomfortable. But I would say "things" versus "people," I like stuff that holds still for me while I fumble with my gear! While landscapes have always been a part of my activity, lately I seem to be gravitating toward what I might call "industrial archaeology" and abstracts zeroing in on details and textures. The abstract stuff is new so it's actually stretching my fading brain cells a little bit.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Photographing wild landscapes - not so much a 'comfort zone' but where I feel most creative.

On the other hand, I'm currently learning the process of printing polymer photogravures (mostly analogue, but uses digitally enlarged transparencies to create printing plate so, as a hybrid process, outwith APUG's scope). This is really interesting but WAY out of my comfort zone...!

Shooter
    35mm
    Urban landscape, somewhat by necessity.

I have social anxiety disorder, so I can't even go to the grocery store without panicking. Even posting on the forum is stressful. However, a couple of times I month I can drag myself outside. Places I enjoy photographing include underground garages, dark alleys, abandoned buildings and construction sites. I like shooting at night, early morning, and when the weather is bad. Also, living in Utah, most businesses are closed on Sundays and everyone is in church so that can be a good time to go outside too. Basically, I'm more comfortable when there are zero people within a mile radius.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    i should also add, i can't design, draw or make anything "look good" unless
    it is found that way ... "styling" / "stylist work" is WAY out of my comfort zone
    I don't know how you can say this, John, since much of the very good work you have done in the time I've known you has been anything but things "looking good" when you found them. You are the consummate stylist, working with selective focus, selective color, motion, blur, tonality; indeterminate form and substance. What you do not seem to work with, in my limited experience, is any selective manipulation of objects before the photograph is taken. You seem more to want us to make what we will of what you've seen. Still, it is styled by the choices you made in presenting us a sliver of all that you have seen, and by the lens of your perception–– also by your texts, I might add.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    hi whitey

maybe it is the "manipulation before it is photographed" that i was trying to articulate ..
    sometimes my trying to say things is nearly impossible, thanks for picking up on what i meant .

i remember i was given a stack of magazines and the photo editor said "photograph them so they look good".
    i couldn't for the life of me get one good photograph out of the pile, after 2 or 3 rolls of film and 3 or 4 hours.
    what i would do now, 15 years later is just drop them on the floor/table, let FATE / CHANCE arrange them for me, and i would photograph that

i'm much better at random

john
    ask me how ..

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Definitely still life.

I really like landscape, but the minimum investment of time is so large that it is anxiety-inducing to think that I might not come back with something I like. For the same reason, being able to try over and over again to make the image that I want is usually out of the question.

As for people, I'm so protective of my free time that it seems unfair to ask anyone else to give up any of theirs just so I can photograph them!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin