Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,850   Posts: 1,582,856   Online: 757

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by hoffy View Post
    OK, we have the comfort zone thread…..so what is outside your comfort zone that you would really like to try?

For me, its models, in particular ‘Pin Up’ style photography. Of late, I have found myself seeking out the ‘Kustom Kulture’ and Hot Rod scene – maybe it’s a bit of a thing at the moment, but I really like the ‘look’.

Yes, I have done people photography in the past, but its been people I know and in their own environment. I would really like to be able to try working with a model in the styles above – my thing is I get a cold shiver thinking about having to talk and deal with someone in that scenario….

Oh well, maybe one day I’ll get the courage.
    hi hoffy. i would gt startedby joining a workshop or a photographer wh o does this kind of thing, as far as finding models, just ask. the worst you can get is a 'no and a black eye. i got neither in 20 years of nude photography, just met great people.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20061024A0104-1.jpg 
Views:	45 
Size:	615.0 KB 
ID:	47531
    Regards

Ralph W. Lambrecht
    www.darkroomagic.comrorrlambrec@ymail.com[/URL]
    www.waybeyondmonochrome.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    you can stop doing portraits as soon as you as good as yosuf karsh.until then ,keep working at it!, iknow, i will.
    Regards

Ralph W. Lambrecht
    www.darkroomagic.comrorrlambrec@ymail.com[/URL]
    www.waybeyondmonochrome.com

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by RalphLambrecht View Post
    you can stop doing portraits as soon as you as good as yosuf karsh.until then ,keep working at it!, iknow, i will.
    What is so amazing about his portraits other than the people he photographed?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by RalphLambrecht View Post
    hi hoffy. i would gt startedby joining a workshop or a photographer wh o does this kind of thing, as far as finding models, just ask. the worst you can get is a 'no and a black eye. i got neither in 20 years of nude photography, just met great people.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20061024A0104-1.jpg 
Views:	45 
Size:	615.0 KB 
ID:	47531
    Thanks Ralph. I have hinted very much to my wife that a perfect birthday present for me is a 2 day workshop with a local photographer - I hope she has heeded my request!

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Couples in very intimate settings, like Nan Goldin's stuff

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by stavrosk View Post
    His subjects expressions and poses for two.
    Mark Barendt, Beaverton, OR

"We do not see things the way they are. We see things the way we are." Anaïs Nin

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by robbalbrecht View Post
    I'd love to do one of those 100 Strangers projects. Walking up to a random person on the street and asking them if I can take their picture terrifies me for some reason. I've done it before but I don't know what my deal with it is.
    +1... I've been wanting to do this for a while. I just moved to the city too, but haven't mustered up the cojones yet to start asking people
    flickr

"A good photograph is one that makes the viewer so aware of the subject that they are unaware of the print."- Kodak
    "...if you find afterwards that you made a mistake, the price of the film and chemicals was...tuition!" - greybeard
    "The hard part isn’t the decisive moment or anything like that – it’s getting the film on the reel!" - John Szarkowski

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I'm challenged by photographing strangers. It's really hard for me to walk up to someone and ask to take their picture. I don't even know what I'm afraid of, as I'm not normally a very shy person.

That's a boundary I'm looking to push through.

To get really out of my comfort zone, perhaps go to Sturgis for one of the biker meetings there, and do a documentary. On film. That would be challenging to me. The hardest thing I know is to capture fleeting moments. Landscape, aerial, architecture, etc takes mostly time, dedication, and enough money to pull off. A fleeting moment never returns, so it becomes an exercise of reacting quickly and making very fast decisions. That, to me, is a lot more difficult, and to do that with a stranger even more so.
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    What I would you like to try and what I am trying almost always lately: complex geometry in harmony together with people in the frame.

Safe zone is to make photo of one object, one person, one flower, one grave stone... but to combine many objects in harmony and in geometry - this is hard for me, many times I end up with 36 bad frames on film.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by robbalbrecht View Post
    I'd love to do one of those 100 Strangers projects. Walking up to a random person on the street and asking them if I can take their picture terrifies me for some reason. I've done it before but I don't know what my deal with it is.
    it used to terrify me too, but after a while i used all that nervous energy to make better portraits.
    eventually it lead to me making portraits for a newspaper, photographing everyone from supreme court chief justices
    to chief sachems ...

Quote Originally Posted by stavrosk View Post
    hi stavrosk ..
    my take on karsh might be a little different than others but ...
    he transformed portrait photography from lots of light
    to theatrical lighting ( rembrandt style lighting ) ..
    he in some ways merged dutch painting and modern photography
    because technically it wasn't possible before he was around.
    films ( and plates ) were slow there had to be lots of light &c ...
    his portraits really show more of personality/character of his subjects
    than a deadpan-portrait, or a bathtub filled with milk.

but all that said, i can see why someone would look at them and not be impressed ...
    ( i only know the effort of what goes into portraits like that because i apprenticed with someone who did similar work
    and for her it was nearly effortless work, probably like karsh )

john

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin