Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,708   Posts: 1,548,587   Online: 1136

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Shooter
    35mm
    In my case I decided to sell the equipment I don´t use. That included a hasselblad and several Leica lenses. Try and figure out what equipment is essential and what you can do without. You´ll figure it out.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by cjbecker View Post
    A+

I’ve recently been getting rid of all the equipment that is not my main gear.
    I'm currently in the same process, recentering myself on the gear I really NEED and not on the gear I love/like. This thread helped me deciding, and although it grieves me to let it go, the Hassy if going so that it does not compete with the Rolleiflex, which is the camera I'm using for my most successful work.
    Laurent

---------------------------------------------------------------
    Only dull people are brilliant at breakfast (Oscar Wilde)

My APUG Blog

Shooter
    35mm
    I'm going through a painful process of deciding what to get rid of too....
    I've spent the last three years buying loads of old film gear on eBay and other places but having 30+ cameras and only using a few regularly tells me I should cut back, and I hardly ever use my 35mm gear since I got a Rollei and I'm hankering for a 645 with autofocus that could replace 35mm for almost everything I still use it for...maybe if I lose most of my gear I can get a Pentax or maybe squeeze a mamiya...
    I'm not selling gear for the hell of it though...only to get something better!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Sorry to hear of your situation.

You make 4 piles:
    1 - the gear that you can reasonably expect to need to earn income in the foreseeable future, excluding pieces that are used infrequently and can be rented
    2 - the gear that truly is irreplaceable due to scarcity or sentimental value
    3 - the gear that has such low market value that selling it won't provide any real benefit
    4 - all the rest (if this pile isn't at least as large as the other 3 combined, go through piles 1-3 again!)

Sell pile #4. Also, keep in mind that your digital gear declines in value every day. Also, in most metro areas, you can rent that gear if needed. So be realistic about whether it will be used in the foreseeable future.

Start selling stuff soon; the more time you have the more you'll be able to get.
    "Far more critical than what we know or do not know is what we do not want to know." - Eric Hoffer

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin