Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,550   Posts: 1,544,670   Online: 868

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Deciding what to sell....

Hard times have hit, and although I know I'll be out of them in a few months, I feel the pressure to offload some gear - but I sure don't wanna!

On one hand I could try and sell the small 35mm Nikon FM setup that I have created, but what if I want to shoot 35mm in the future? I've had my Hassie for over 3 months now, and I've been using it regularly, but will I continue to use it enough to justify keeping it? I could sell two of the three Polaroid Land Cameras that I've acquired, but I like each of them equally for different reasons? Of course I could sell all of these items and feed myself the excuse that I'll be able to buy another one down the road, but will I really? What if all I can find next time is stuff that is 'more used' than what I have now?

I honestly wish I could just offload all my digital gear, because that hasn't seen the light of day in months now, but inevitably I'll be asked to second shoot a wedding or something in the coming weeks.

How do you decide what to sell, when to sell, and if you're even going to sell??

I think I'm becoming a film hoarder.....

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I've been having similar thoughts recently, money issues as well. Have you thought about 'downgrading' the blad? Possibly pick up a bronica 6x6, mamiya 645 or something else and have money to spare?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul Green View Post
    I've been having similar thoughts recently, money issues as well. Have you thought about 'downgrading' the blad? Possibly pick up a bronica 6x6, mamiya 645 or something else and have money to spare?

Yes, but my excuse for NOT doing so is that I have a Hassie now... what are the chances I'll EVER own one again?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Instead of selling any gear, how about looking around for that second shooter gig? With graduation around the corner, maybe some senior portraits? Or teach a workshop?
    "So I am turning over a new leaf but the page is stuck". Diane Arbus

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Quote Originally Posted by Valerie View Post
    Instead of selling any gear, how about looking around for that second shooter gig? With graduation around the corner, maybe some senior portraits? Or teach a workshop?
    I would second that, if you are not using the gear then sell it, if you are using it - that that same gear is going to make you some money soon enough. My experience has been that after selling my Hassy setup I would find it
    hard to buy it in similar condition for the price it sold.
    Multum egerunt, qui ante nos fuerunt, sed non peregedunt.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Do the PICTURES need the gear?

Or do YOU need it?

Ask yourself which is most important, and I'm sure you'll come up with an answer.
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Valerie View Post

Currently we are looking at relocating, so for the next few months my week to week schedule is up in the air as I may have to drop everything and drive to the new city for subsequent interviewing or testing at a moments notice. Combine that with a college schedule, and a remaining full time job, and I'm finding it difficult to schedule any shooting gigs. Meanwhile, the studio rent is still due... Once wedding season kicks back up in a month or two I'll have a bit of income from the editing that I do, and the second shooting that I do for the two photographers that I work with.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Bertilsson View Post

Or do YOU need it?

Ask yourself which is most important, and I'm sure you'll come up with an answer.

A+

I’ve recently been getting rid of all the equipment that is not my main gear.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    If someone told me I could only have and use one camera system for my work, I would have no problem with that......I find I run into problems when I have too much gear. I wanted to stock up on film, paper and chemistry, so I sold the most overpriced and honestly, over rated gear I had, Leica.

No regrets...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Bertilsson View Post

Or do YOU need it?

I'm quite certain that *I* need the gear more than the pictures do!

But still, I can't help but get attached to some of these old pieces... I mean after all, they aren't making any more of them.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin