Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,212   Posts: 1,532,032   Online: 1164

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    bvy

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Enlarger Timers - Digital or Analog?

I need an enlarger timer -- something in the $25 - $50 range. I had been holding out for a digital one, but maybe I'm being fussy. I had gotten a Paterson digital timer, but the buttons were bad (contacts worn), and I returned it. I see the (analog) Gralab 300 come up a lot. Are these things the workhorses they look to be? I want something that's realtively easy to set and that will last for a while. I don't think I need anything too advanced; I don't print that frequently. Thoughts?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Gralab 300 meets all of your requirements. They ARE workhorse timers. They are easy to set and two of mine were probably made in 70s or 80s which tells me they lasts quite a while. The new ones are made out of mostly plastic and I don't know how good they are, but older ones are very rugged.

For a simple timer, they are very nice.

I now use Gralab digital timers. I purchased mine in your price range right here on APUG classified. It seems whenever a school or something decommissions darkroom, they come out in quantity. These are nice and accurate. But has one negative. They malfunction every now and then. When multiple timers are connected in the same circuit, (meaning same circuit in the chain of outlets), triggering one sometimes triggers the other. Also, every now and then, they fail to shut off. Even brand new one exhibited this issue. Weird.
    Develop, stop, fix.... wait.... where's my film?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Gralab 300's are great timers, I use one for processing, but I don't like using them for enlarging because they don't reset.
    For analog type timers, I think the Time-O-Lite's work better for enlarging.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by bdial View Post
    Gralab 300's are great timers, I use one for processing, but I don't like using them for enlarging because they don't reset.
    For analog type timers, I think the Time-O-Lite's work better for enlarging.
    That's the combo I am using right now... Just came out to get the scissors to cut a test strip.

I've got Omega's branded Time-O-Lite for enlarger and Gralab for fixing/washing times. The develop time's by CompNTemp...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I use a gralab 300 for enlarging. Works perfectly. Easy to use. Simple and accurate, that's what I like. I think I paid $40 for mine but it was like new. All metal, metal switches and timer arms.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The digital display enlarger timers do have advantages - finer adjustments, easy repeats, foot-switch options, clear displays, etc.

That being said, a Gralab 300 will be useful for lots of things, including film development, so if you start with one and later replace it for enlarging, you will still be glad you have it.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    hello bvy,
    I have a first class Kaiser enlargement timer counting up to 60 sec in half second steps. Electric, it switches the enlarger on and off. It works perfect, it does not look used, I don't need it since I've got an RH-Design Zone Master. At 25$ + postage it'll be yours, if you think you can use it. Just send me a message. Postage is 16$.
    I attach a photo
    Peter
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Kaiser.JPG  

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Fwiw, I use the Omega Dual Range timer for enlarging abd just love it

This is what they look like
    http://bit.ly/AksdrM
    Andy

bvy

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thanks everyone. This is good information. Phelger, I'll keep in mind that you have one to sell. I'm looking at a few others right now also...

the villages .centralflorida,USA and Germany
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	GraLab.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	315.6 KB 
ID:	48077and you csn tutn thrm into an f/stop timer too!
    Regards

Ralph W. Lambrecht
    www.darkroomagic.comrorrlambrec@ymail.com[/URL]
    www.waybeyondmonochrome.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin