Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,907   Posts: 1,584,612   Online: 919

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I used a tripod and medium format in Paris a few years ago and had no problems. No issues in Rome or for that matter any where else except once in Munich photographing the BMW building as I was probably on their property.

http://www.jeffreyglasser.com/

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    You should photograph the police, especially when they arresting someone or otherwise using force.

We had a case last year here in Stockholm when a young man filmed a questionable arrest, and then the police (dressed in civil clothes) turned on the guy with the camera phone recording the whole thing. He was threatened and forced to erase the memory of the camera. Later, the film was restored and the whole thing turned into a public scandal. Don't remember thought if the policemen were punished.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Hello, I'm a Parisian living in Paris and a professional photographer. There's no problem in taking pictures. There are so many people taking pictures in Paris, since it's the most visited town in the world (14.8 milion international visitors per annum). About tripod, there are areas where you won't be allowed to use one unless you can show an official agreement from the City of Paris. For instance, inside the Louvre area, in public parks. If you need more information, send me a personal message.

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    I spend one to two weeks each year in Paris. In the past twenty years, I have only had two problems when photographing. The first was when using a tripod at night in the Place de la Concorde. A police officer told me I couldn't use a tripod (I think). She was very nice about it. I nodded and took down the tripod. Not really a big deal. The second didn't directly involve me. My wife and I were on a food walk and one of the other participants was a very aggressive photographer. She got into peoples faces. One of the markets we visited had a number of booths run by African immigrants. The walk leader had told us that because of the sellers culture, they did not like being photographed. I photographed the stalls and asked permission before including a person in the shot. The other photographer got hassled. Frankly, she deserved it.

Go to Paris and have a great time.
    Buy a museum pass to avoid lines.
    Make reservations for the Eiffel Tower--or walk up to the first level. I'm 54 years old and did it last month without too much effort.
    If you like the French trifecta (foie gras, duck ((breast, confit or in cassoulet)) and creme brulee) it doesn't get any better than Au Petit Sud Ouest, 46 Avenue de la Bourdannais in the 7th.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Relax. Take some pictures. French people are cool.

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Images
    They just have this crazy love for Jerry Lewis.

Quote Originally Posted by Mainecoonmaniac View Post
    Relax. Take some pictures. French people are cool.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I lived in Paris from 1986 to 1997. Got my OM-3 brand new at that time. I started using it again 3 years ago after being fed up with watching a computer screen for my photography. I do the latter all day long for a living...I still have loads of negatives from those days. They have all kept well.

I never had a problem photographing anywhere in Paris. Obviously, museums and public places have rules - like anywhere - which are usually clearly posted. Common sense goes a long way. You wouldn't be setting up a tripod and huge flash inside the Louvre, now would you?

There was only one time where I felt a bit uneasy taking pictures: 14th July 1989, early morning, I made a point of driving around town "documenting" how the city was waking up to the festivities and ended up among a bunch of Nationalist skinheads, all balaclavad, gathered around the Jeanne d'Arc statue. They did not want to have their picture taken. Usual and typical cowardice that can be expected from fanatical extremists of any so called cause...now, the funny thing was that just a block away, there was a large gathering of riot police - the CRS - and they were even more upset about me taking pictures! I had to ask my then girlfriend, later wife, to step on it, or my beloved OM-3 would have permanently changed ownership at that time... Nice memories at any rate - and my own doing.

Have fun in Paris. I will also go there later this spring. Will I bring the OM-3? Mais bien sur!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    May I add that a bad meal is hard to find. Other than the strange love of Jerry Lewis, they also like their McDonalds. But I think the burger flippers in Paris show the same respect for food as anywhere in France so I'd imagine the food in Mickey D's is better than what you get in the States. Don't bring too much gear because you'll do a lot of walking. The best way to take photos.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Carnie View Post
    They just have this crazy love for Jerry Lewis.
    I know! And they claim to be rational!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Mainecoonmaniac View Post
    May I add that a bad meal is hard to find. Other than the strange love of Jerry Lewis, they also like their McDonalds. But I think the burger flippers in Paris show the same respect for food as anywhere in France so I'd imagine the food in Mickey D's is better than what you get in the States. Don't bring too much gear because you'll do a lot of walking. The best way to take photos.
    McDonalds is shit, everywhere, including France. Don't go to Paris and eat at McDonald's, it's heresy. Find a real restaurant that the Parisians eat at (as opposed to a tourist trap with $5 coffee) and have a meal or five. Enjoy a pastis. Get some fresh bread early in the morning and slather some Camembert on it while it's still warm. Oh yes, take some pictures. Enjoy!

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin