Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,285   Posts: 1,535,258   Online: 941

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by E. von Hoegh View Post
    McDonalds is shit, everywhere
    I don't think it's that good!

Steve.
    "People who say things won't work are a dime a dozen. People who figure out how to make things work are worth a fortune" - Dave Rat.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Pat Erson View Post
    #SNIP#

And photographing bird-feeders is tricky because what they do is illegal . Animal lovers will think you're a plain-clothes cop.

I did something illegal in Paris.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    You can't miss the night view of the tower and the city from the Montparnasse building:

http://www.virtualtourist.com/travel...asse-BR-1.html

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Trask View Post
    I lived in Paris for three years, and I did a lot of street photography -- never had a problem. Do watch out for scam artists who will try to take advantage of your presumed greed: you'll see someone walking toward you suddenly bend to the ground and come up holding a gold ring in their hand. They'll ask you if it is yours, or what they should do with it, the whole idea being that somehow they are "willing" to give you the seemingly expensive gold ring for a relatively small sum of money. Of course, the ring is fake, the scam artist palmed the ring that was never on the ground, etc. I used to just keep walking right past them.
    Yep, gat caught with that one. Near the Eiffel Tower. Was a bit nonplussed when we offered a modest reward to be abused that "she couldn't even buy a Coke with that!".
    Leica M6,
    Bessa R4A,
    Rolleiflex(s) 2.8/80, 4/135, 4/55.
    Nikkormat FTn
    Fuji X10

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by SchwinnParamount View Post
    My wife and I will be in Paris for 10 days starting next week. We have never travelled abroad before and I am a little nervous about upsetting the locals with my camera. I've heard scare stories about tourists like myself being hassled by the local cops for taking pictures of street scenes. Is there anything to this?
    If there is, what is the best strategy to get my pictures and not get hassled. If there is nothing to the stories, I'd like to hear that too.
    No problems. Be sensible, courteous, and friendly, and don't try to emulate Bruce Gilden or whatever his name is. Don't use a tripod. Learn just a few words of French if you can - even enough to say "Pardon me, I only speak a little French - could we speak in English if you please?" Remember you're a visitor, not introducing them to American-style democracy. Walk where you can - don't even think about a car. I noticed your name includes Schwinn. If you're a cyclist there are bicycle hire stains all over (if you're ready to brave the traffic). Use the Metro to cover distances greater than you care to walk. It's a bit daunting the first time but we got a couple of Apps for the iPhone with maps of the Metro and a French-English-French phrase translator and we had a ball. Embrace the food and the culture. The French eat smaller quantities than you may be used to - you don't see many obese French people - but the food is exquisite.
    Leica M6,
    Bessa R4A,
    Rolleiflex(s) 2.8/80, 4/135, 4/55.
    Nikkormat FTn
    Fuji X10

MDR
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Never been hassled in Paris, been there for every year for the past 15 years.
    Paris is a beautiful and very photogenic city. Try to show (and have) respect for the french and their accomplishments and you won't have any problems. If you want to eat a lot for a relatively small price got to one of the moroccans Restaurants near the larger Railwaystations and order some Couscous.

Dominik

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Leigh Youdale View Post
    Learn just a few words of French if you can - even enough to say "Pardon me, I only speak a little French - could we speak in English if you please?"
    Learn as much French as you can. It generally gets a good response in most of France... except in Paris where even perfect French with a slight English accent is frowned upon!

Most of my conversations in France have been with me speaking French to a French person replying in English - very strange at first but actually quite logical (sort of).

Steve.
    "People who say things won't work are a dime a dozen. People who figure out how to make things work are worth a fortune" - Dave Rat.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by amsp View Post
    I beg to differ

Antonio,

I wouldn't force my luck with the Turkish police! But I presume you are comfortable with body language and making your intentions clear before it's too late.

Cheers

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	5569602193_aef9a94d9f_z.jpg 
Views:	77 
Size:	146.7 KB 
ID:	48587

This guy threatened to break my camera... Then again, he had a British accent in Paris, so maybe he was grumpy at the French.

The "Digital Revoloution" really has made people more wary of cameras...
    www.EASmithV.com

"The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera."— Dorothea Lange
    http://www.flickr.com/easmithv/
    RIP Kodachrome

Shooter
    Medium Format
    If a man is playing guitar on the park, and has his case open for donations, don't even think about taking his picture with a professional level camera without throwing five or ten dollars in that case. It's poor taste to photograph a beggar you've not helped.

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin