Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,837   Posts: 1,582,458   Online: 754

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Quote Originally Posted by Mainecoonmaniac View Post
    You know Benny Hill looks a lot like Newt Gringrich
    Have you ever seen them together...?

Cheers,

R.
    Free Photography Information on My Website
    http://www.rogerandfrances.com

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Quote Originally Posted by benjiboy View Post
    Not any more, Benny has been dead for twenty years .
    Which probably makes the resemblance more lifelike. Or deathlike.

Cheers,

R.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Once, I was shooting the Arc de Triomphe with a 4x5 inch monorail.

A nearby gendarme politely waited until I had finished, and then strolled over to tell me that really, I should have a permit...

That was the sum total of my problems with shooting in Paris, on many visits. Without a tripod, it really doesn't matter.

Cheers,

R.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Diapositivo View Post
    I was with a friend, drinking a beer at one of those small outside tables with three legs (guéridons) boulevard Saint-Germain-des-Prés (you pronounce that with a close e in Prés and an open e in Germain, avoid sounding the final "t" and all should be fine .
    Thanks for this advice, but I thought that is exactly as I pronounced it. However, one guy still took issue with this.

“The contemplation of things as they are, without error or confusion, without substitution or imposture, is in itself a nobler thing than a whole harvest of invention”

Francis Bacon

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I happen to like Benny Hill and company. Decades ago it was current on the Canadian station we received when I was in college across the border. Now I can watch the show on Retro TV. Still gets a laugh each time.

Paris in the Spring is beautiful, Tacoma, where I went to high school a hundred years ago, well, not. It's better than it used to be though by leaps and bounds. Venice, that's the city for me. No cars!
    Everytime I find a film or paper that I like, they discontinue it. - Paul Strand - Aperture monograph on Strand

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Curt View Post
    I happen to like Benny Hill and company.
    It is strange that Benny Hill appears to be very popular in the US (and possibly Canada) but he fell out of favour in England at least twenty five years ago.

Steve.
    "People who say things won't work are a dime a dozen. People who figure out how to make things work are worth a fortune" - Dave Rat.

Shooter
    35mm
    Maybe you wont be hassled, but remember that France has a law "Droit a l'image", that basically makes it impossible for you to use photos of French people without their permission. However, I assume that if you take pics of people in France, and not publish them in France, you're probably gonna be just fine.

Some weeks ago I stopped a loveley looking lady at the street asking if i could take some shots of her right there on the street, she said "yes, if you want, but you can't use them", turned out she was a lawyer, and explained about this law for me. We decided to meet up one day soon and then she'll explain the details to me and what I have to do in order to get peoples legal permission (basically a contract) to use their faces on photos for exhibitions etc.

(I'm Swedish, living in France since 10+ years).
    Last edited by Felinik; 05-26-2012 at 06:43 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Smith View Post
    It is strange that Benny Hill appears to be very popular in the US (and possibly Canada) but he fell out of favour in England at least twenty five years ago.

Steve.
    Steve, it's quite possible that I'm the only one here who enjoys the basic comedy of that show. As I understand he was a mechanic in WWII and towards the end of the war transferred to the entertainment service. Lived alone but asked several women to marry him. It didn't happen and he lived alone till his death.

I guess I like the show because it's simple, direct, farce like, and a snapshot of the times. Apparently a good number of ladies on the show got there start there too.

By the way, my wife can't stand the show, she calls it stupid!
    Everytime I find a film or paper that I like, they discontinue it. - Paul Strand - Aperture monograph on Strand

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Curt View Post
    Venice, that's the city for me. No cars!
    My mother's favourite place too. I must go one day. No cars sounds great!

Steve.
    "People who say things won't work are a dime a dozen. People who figure out how to make things work are worth a fortune" - Dave Rat.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Smith View Post
    My mother's favourite place too. I must go one day. No cars sounds great!

Steve.
    I will never forget my trip to Venice 2 years ago. The most amazing place for photography.

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin