Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,699   Posts: 1,482,581   Online: 864

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by dpurdy View Post
    There are no qualifications to being a photographer. The worlds full of them.
    Dennis

Sure there is. You only have to know how to click a button and burn a cd for $50.

Shooter
    35mm
    I've been pro for 30+ years and go out of my way to look as non pro as possible. It will give you a lot of freedom. Pro is for the IRS and City tax people. You work should tell the story.. forget about any titles..

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    When I was living in Los Angeles, everyone was either a model, an actor(ress) or a freelance photographer. Being called a freelance photographer meant to most people in the (entertainment) industry that you were hopelessly unemployable, broke and starving. It was certainly no mark of distinction to be called a photographer, but who cares. I say be yourself and call yourself whatever you want. As the song says, "Whatever you want to be, you'll be in the end.".

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The chances are that if you are asking yourself this question you are a photographer and have been for some time.

Its far easier to be a photographer when there are people standing in front of your prints at an exhibition who would get confused if you tried to tell them you were something else. There is that point at which it is not worth fighting, even though the title is quite pointless. Its a word on a website, or business card, that makes things make sense for other people; however, at the end of the day, anyone who make photos is a photographer. 'Professional Photographer' is separate distinction and even this is having to change due to the changes in the industry. I know a number of photojournalists, who work for prestigious agencies, who bring in far more income from their view work than stills, but they remain professional photographers in my book (and theirs) because this is their main focus (at a motivational and emotional level) with the videography existing to support the stills due to the realities of the changing industry.

Failing to acknowledge yourself as a photographer, when selling work, is suicide... you gotta get comfortable with it. After all, that's why the public is there - because of your photos! Telling that you are not a photographer bursts the bubble and renders your work some sort of accidental byproduct of an incidental activity. One only as to look at the amateur and non-pro categories of some of the major international photo competitions (where pro is reserved for those making the majority of their income from stills) to see how untrue that judgment is. The standard is often higher. In my book, a professional is anyone who consistently produces work, or photographic services, which others wish to (and do) pay for.
    Last edited by Tom Stanworth; 04-08-2012 at 09:21 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Perhaps it is whatever you do, most of the time. If you spend most of your time taking and producing photos, your a photographer.

I wonder what if the new breed of digital picture takers who use software to manipulate the image should be called Photoshopers or Digitizers?
    Items for sale or trade at www.Camera35.com

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by BrianL View Post
    A photographer is simply one who takes photographs. There is no regulatory agency that has set a set of standards or other requirements, to qualify to be a Photographer.
    Even if there was, I would still use the term.

Steve.

Shooter
    35mm
    I have problem labeling myself and wouldn't call myself a photographer. My buisness card only has my name and contact info. Other people can label me whatever they want.

That being said, I have no problem labeling others and "photographer" seems like a title suited for you.
    If it feels somewhat comfortable then I suggest you do it.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Anybody who takes pictures is a 'photographer'.

Whether or not you're a highly-paid photographer depends on the clients' opinion of your work. That's up to them.

- Leigh
    “Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.” - Plato

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by fotch View Post
    Perhaps it is whatever you do, most of the time. If you spend most of your time taking and producing photos, your a photographer.

I wonder what if the new breed of digital picture takers who use software to manipulate the image should be called Photoshopers or Digitizers?
    Even if you use software you are a photographer. And I think Ralph should put photographer on his business card if he wants to. I have my company name on my card, my name and some other details. My company name shows I am involved into photography. And that they can hire me if they need photo's. I rarely call my self a photographer though. I'll leave that to others.
    Reality is whatever stays when you stop believing in it.
    darkroomninja.blogspot.com

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    It turns out I'm a Pro Photographer, and I didn't even know it. I had brought my camera (FTb and two lenses) to a concert where they explicitly allowed still photographs, but requested that no audio or video recordings be made. As I got it out to take a picture of my wife to test the lighting, a managerial type ran over and told me I wasn't allowed to take pictures. I reminded him of the signs all over the entry doors saying that I could. He said that no "interchangeable lens cameras were allowed" despite that not being mentioned anywhere in any way. I asked how on earth that made any difference. He said that made it a "pro rig" and those were not allowed. I pointed out that I was a hobbyist, and for goodness' sake I was shooting film, how professional did that make me in this day and age... but he was insistent. If the camera came out, I would go out. So there you go, apparently I'm a pro photographer because the lens comes off my camera. Now you know.

Duncan

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin