Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,702   Posts: 1,482,659   Online: 688

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by frobozz View Post
    I'm a pro photographer ... the lens comes off my camera.
    Put THAT on your business card!

My goal in life, is to be as good a person as my dog already thinks I am.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    It turns out I'm a Pro Photographer, and I didn't even know it. I had brought my camera (FTb and two lenses) to a concert where they explicitly allowed still photographs, but requested that no audio or video recordings be made. As I got it out to take a picture of my wife to test the lighting, a managerial type ran over and told me I wasn't allowed to take pictures. I reminded him of the signs all over the entry doors saying that I could. He said that no "interchangeable lens cameras were allowed" despite that not being mentioned anywhere in any way. I asked how on earth that made any difference. He said that made it a "pro rig" and those were not allowed. I pointed out that I was a hobbyist, and for goodness' sake I was shooting film, how professional did that make me in this day and age... but he was insistent. If the camera came out, I would go out. So there you go, apparently I'm a pro photographer because the lens comes off my camera. Now you know.

Duncan
    Yeah you hear that more often these days. Kinda BS if you ask me. Some point and shoot camera's deliver damn good photo's these days. Ah well Congrats your are a professional!
    Reality is whatever stays when you stop believing in it.
    darkroomninja.blogspot.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    This should answer your question.

My apologies if it has been posted before.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8TFPd6WjuXk

Shooter
    Multi Format
    It turns out I'm a Pro Photographer, and I didn't even know it...So there you go, apparently I'm a pro photographer because the lens comes off my camera. Now you know.

Duncan
    London Underground apparently pulled this stunt recently when they were giving tours of an abandoned subway station. They had a sign out front saying that "Digital SLR" cameras were banned from the tour. I read one account in the aftermath of that from someone who managed to get a film SLR past the London Underground staff at the entrance on the basis of it not being a digital camera but they'd changed their minds during the tour because the entrance staff were seen turning away people with film SLRs later in the day.

The British Journal of Photography's got a couple of articles about this mess on their website. The actual sign banning digital SLRs read "Due to their combination of high quality sensor and high quality resolution, digital SLR cameras are unfortunately not permitted inside the station", and London Underground tried to backtrack on that and claim that it was really a health and safety consideration due to the number of steps in the staircase in the station etc. for people lugging heavy equipment. That has nothing to do with film sensor quality and resolution and people were speculating that the ban was to try and stop people from taking high quality pictures of the station to protect the London Transport museum's giftshop book and postcard sales. That makes more sense as an explanation for the SLR camera ban than London Underground attempting to claim that lugging all those film grains or megapixels up and down the stairs is a health and safety hazard.

Ignoring the nonsense excuses offered up, I suspect it's the same with the concert as it was with the London Underground tour and other places where similar stupid SLR bans exist: they'll let you take pictures, but they won't let you take pictures that might be too good in case it cuts into media sales.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Plate Voltage View Post
    Ignoring the nonsense excuses offered up, I suspect it's the same with the concert as it was with the London Underground tour and other places where similar stupid SLR bans exist: they'll let you take pictures, but they won't let you take pictures that might be too good in case it cuts into media sales.
    Yeah, I've seen a similar restriction in a clock museum here in Iowa. No photography allowed. Why not? Look in the gift shop at all the photo books they have for sale! They don't get the fact that most people coming to a clock museum really don't want a precious keepsake photo collection of all the wonderful clocks - they just want a picture or two of the ones they like. I was somewhat amused looking at one of the books they had for sale, and I kid you not, the thing had more dust on it than a mid-Winter negative.
    In life you only get one great dog, one great car, and one great woman. Pet the dog. Drive the car. Make love to the woman. Don't mix them up.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Wolfeye - "Yeah, I've seen a similar restriction in a clock museum here in Iowa. No photography allowed."

I recently exhibited three of my photographs in an art gallery here in Lincoln and I was astounded to see a notice saying "No photography allowed". Fortunately they did not mean on the walls.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter de Groot View Post
    Some point and shoot camera's deliver damn good photo's these days.

How do you think boot leg movie's and concert videos get out? If security/management were smart, they'd stop all these point and shoot video capable cameras, and quit paying attention to the guys with 'pro rigs'. At the very least, the guy with the pro rig presumably has a respect for copyright and intellectual property laws.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ChristopherCoy View Post
    ...the guy with the pro rig presumably has a respect for copyright and intellectual property laws.
    Good point... If only it were universally true . Now that 'pro rigs' can be had so cheap (used 5D's only go for, how much now?) anyone can look like they care... I could name a few people I know who I should start ordering some of that Fauxtographor for!

My goal in life, is to be as good a person as my dog already thinks I am.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Ralph- are you serious? I looked at your portfolio. You're not a photographer. You're a damn good photographer. You have more talent than an awful lot of "professional" photographers I have seen.
    That said, there might be more work consistent with your vision in art instruction and gallery work than there is in studio portraits, weddings and such. I guess it depends on whether you WANT to do those things. I would say you're a fine art photographer, not a school portrait or wedding photog and definitely not a GWAC. (Guy With A Camera)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ChristopherCoy View Post
    At the very least, the guy with the pro rig presumably has a respect for copyright and intellectual property laws.
    Well I wouldn't know about that but apparently it is ok to have crappy video's out there by the Parkinson masses (I don't mean to offend anyone with the Parkinson disease) then a decent video that does the concert/museum/whatever actually good. Only on the assumption that people will buy stuff that is on sale if they can't photograph on site.

If they are really smart the'd let sign people with SLR a relaese that the organisation get a copy of all the good stuff that has been shot. So problem solved. Win/Win situation.

Again on topic: I don't think anybody will be offended if Ralph calls himself a photographer on his business card. People who know his work will probably say that that would be an understatement.
    Reality is whatever stays when you stop believing in it.
    darkroomninja.blogspot.com

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin