Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,760   Posts: 1,516,071   Online: 897

Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast
    the villages .centralflorida,USA and Germany
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

When is it ok to call myself a photographer?

it's time to update my business card. this bringds up the above question.when can you cakll your self a photographer? just because you want o be oneor because you get a part-time income from it?does it have o be your full-time job?or is owning a good camera a a decent portfolio enough?what's your take on this?would you feel comfortable to put this title on your business card? or doyou think it's pompous?
    Regards

Ralph W. Lambrecht
    www.darkroomagic.comrorrlambrec@ymail.com[/URL]
    www.waybeyondmonochrome.com

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Any time you like.

Steve.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    It's not pompous, you introduce yourself how you want to be recognized. Then you let your actions and work speak for you.
    Rick A
    Argentum aevum
    BTW: the big kid in my avatar is my hero, my son, who proudly serves us in the Navy. "SALUTE"

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Speaking only for myself: I have been taking pictures steadily for over 25 years and even had a small stint taking wedding photos as a side gig, but I have never been comfortable labeling myself a "photographer." Feels weird to me. Other people might apply that label, but I don't apply it to myself. Can't really say why.

I say call yourself whatever you feel comfortable with.

Jonathan

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    It depends on what sort of impression you want your card to give. I'd guess most people would assume a business card meant some sort of professional-type activity that involved money changing hands; it's relatively unusual to have cards printed up for a hobby. But not unheard of. I'd say as long as the card doesn't deliberately misrepresent what you do, then why not.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    In your case Ralph, you should be thinking about what adjectives and superlatives you will be prepending to your title of Photographer. E.g. "Fine Art photographer" or "Film Photographer" etc

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Now.
    Go shoot.
    Tom, on Point Pelee, Canada

Ansel Adams had the Zone System... I'm working on the points system. First I points it here, and then I points it there...

http://tom-overton-images.weebly.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I used to wonder about this too. From my perspective, I stopped worrying about it when I stopped trying to make my work known in the interest of selling it. Once I stopped that, I stopped wondering what to call myself.
    Before that I did not write a title either. Just my name, business name, contact info, and what types of photos I liked to make.
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    If I made a living at photography, or was able to supplement my income with photography, then I could put it on a business card, otherwise I'm participating in an expensive hobby, something that I love to do, whether I'm good enough to make money at it or not.

Shooter
    35mm
    I prefer to think of myself as a printer who uses photography.

Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin