Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,858   Posts: 1,583,106   Online: 929

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Filters

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ed Sukach
    Well ... I was referring to my experience with the Hasselblad. Those lenses are considered to be "pretty good".
    Ed - sorry if it sounded as if I was taking you to task. I was just making general observations across formats and brands.
    [COLOR=SlateGray]"You can't depend on your eyes if your imagination is out of focus." -Mark Twain[/COLOR]

Ralph Barker
    Rio Rancho, NM

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by TPPhotog
    Like Ed I'm not too worried about the make as I just just the standard yellow; orange; red; grad ND and circular polarizer. Looking at modern ones I see no difference when side by side.

When I worked at a camera store though we occasionally had some old B&W and Nikon filters come in on the lenses we had offered us with people upgrading or going over the wall to digital. Now those old filters were beautifully deep and rich colours. Sadly none ever came in big enough to fit my lenses

Jim sweety wrappers are just as good for most things but less convenient than real ones, there again you can't eat the contents of a manufactored filter
    I can always try to eat a real filter.I'm sure medical advice would be against it-but one week they say something is bad for you and the following week it's
    good for you because it does this or that...

Seriously though I'm very happy with the B+W filters,both IR and Black&white.
    I was just inquiring as to what others experiences are with different brands and if they went from one brand to another for any reason.There is so much
    discussion about what type of filter to use for this or that but the brands
    themselves are never hit on.
    Also the whole mono and multi-coated issue is rarely discussed.I think B+W
    filters are some of the best out there myself(All my lenses are sigma's with one exception)and the combos work well.

Jim
    "An object never performs the same function as its name or its image"-Rene Magritte

"An image of a dog does not bite"-William James applied to photography

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Hey everyone,lots of good replies(helpful too)and I appreciate all the advice given.I guess though that I should have worded the post a little different.I was just looking for a discussion on the types of filters out there and what experiences everyone has had.If they changed brand and why(do you use more than one type)mono or multi-coated,etc.

Jim
    "An object never performs the same function as its name or its image"-Rene Magritte

"An image of a dog does not bite"-William James applied to photography

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I have boxes of filters, collected over 30+ years of photography. I have screw-in filters in sizes I no longer have lenses for them to fit.

Brand-wise, I have Hoya, Vivitar, Nikon, Canon, Tiffen, B&W, Heliopan, Singh-Ray, Spiratone and probably a few more I don't remember.

Quality-wise...guess what? They all work great. The $5.95 Vivitars and Spiratones I bought 30 years ago work just as good as the $100+ Singh-Rays and B&Ws I've bought more recently. Of all the filters I own, the only one that's deteriorated over the years is a Nikon polarizer that began to delaminate after about 20 years of use.

The only brand of filter I would never recommend is Cokin. I bought a lot of Cokins "A" size when they were first introduced and used them occasionally on wide to normal lenses. A few years ago, I bought a set of "P" size filters and a holder. One day, I tried to use the 81A equivalent on a 400mm Canon lens and discovered I couldn't even see the subject through the lens due to diffraction in the filter. I tried all my other Cokin filters with this lens and 100% of them distorted the image so bad they were unusable. Needless to say, I've never used a Cokin filter since.

I see a lot of people on the Web put down Tiffen filters. I guess they don't have much cache' since they don't cost an arm and a leg. But I've never had a Tiffen that was not excellent. Yes, they do have aluminum rings that can occasionally bind and they can flare if the circumstance is right but so can the expensive multi-coated B&W filters. I don't worry much about that, just don't use a filter if you're shooting against the light. Optically, they are among the best I've ever used. Most of my newer filters are Tiffen. I use them on Leica lenses, Canon L lenses, Mamiya TLR lenses and Pentax 645 lenses. When I had a 4x5, I used them on Schneider, Rodenstock and Fujinon lenses. I even had Tiffen build on special order some color compensating screw-in filters to fit my large format lenses. Tiffen filters work better than they should for the price you pay for them.

Since I shoot virtually 100% black and white, the filters I use are all for black and white film. My most used filters are #15 dark yellow and #11 green. For infrared, I also use #29 dark red and the Hoya R72. When I shot a lot of color transparency film, I used a polarizer and warming filters (81A, 81B) and, on very rare occasions, a Tiffen Color Enhancing filter. An enhancing filter is great "sometimes" and absolutely wretched most of the time.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    I use colored plastic wrap.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    'I use colored plastic wrap.'

Have you tried painting the front element with nail varnish?

I've pretty much switched to B+W MRC filters. Their older multi-coating seemed softer and more prone to damage than Hoya, but MRC seems very good. B+W are also the best for odd sizes and types. I do find that there are times when multi-coating helps - and the importance varies from lens to lens. It seems to have more to do with the curvature of the front of the front element than anything else.

I generally have a set of one or two yellows, yellow-green and red or deep red for all my lenses, with yellow-green being the favourite. For some common sizes I also have green, orange and IR filters.

For colour film I have KB6 for partial correction when the ambient light is warmer than the film balance, KR3 for high altitude and at sea, and CC10M & CC20M for using with fluorescent lights.

I'm not at all keen on grads, but have a set of Schneider ND grads and one of their gentle blue grads - the latter for use in extremis when a grey sky just has to look a bit less grey (not my bag at all, but there are times when the devil drives...). If someone gave me a tobacco or coral grad I'd have to cut their throat with it, so be warned. 'Two pieces of glass, like a centre filter? So that's how they do it.' Anyway, the Schneiders are good, and come in 4"x5.65" size - very useful.

Best,
    Helen

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I use Hoya screw in filters. They are well coated and made with good glass, but not that expensive. I use the usual B&W range (yellow, orange, green, red), plus IR. For colour I use a polariser and a Tungsten converter. I almost never use a lens without a filter that is basically there to protect the front element: Skylight 1B for colour and the same or a yellow for B&W.

David.

Ole
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I have a big heap of "everything", including Hoya, Cokin A and P, and Lee. The only Cokin filters I use are the fanciest coloured gels, they have the only -yellow filter I've seen. Weird effect on landscapes and yellow flowers...

Lee is it for anything serious. Except my old folders, I have a yellow Leica filter which fits most of those
    -- Ole Tjugen, Luddite Elitist
    Norway

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I have UV, Polariser, Orange and some other filters from Jessops, and they're ok. I also use B&W Red/Orange filter which is very good, and very well built (bought it at a local photo chain store when they had a sale: $7!!!).

Depending on how much i will use the filter, the more I am willing to spend. My coloured filters for Black & White are used very much (especially the Orange filters)

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Helen B
    'I use colored plastic wrap.'
    Have you tried painting the front element with nail varnish?
    I
    One can also build a number of special effect filters. Simply sandwich a selected piece of material between two UV or "Skylight" filters ... I have them with black and white net, crumpled saran wrap .. starburst shape cutouts ...
    Carpe erratum!!

Ed Sukach, FFP.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin