Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,522   Posts: 1,543,799   Online: 781

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Filters

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Helen B
    Have you tried painting the front element with nail varnish?
    I paint an UV filter with lots of stuff, but NEVER the front element of my lenses. It is easier to clean (and a lot cheaper to replace) a filter than a lens.

Mortenq
    Last edited by modafoto; 11-22-2004 at 10:15 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I have a red, a green, a yellow, and a polarizer from Tiffen and they all work fine for me. I do have an orange filter from Hoya that was good, but now I'm seeing what look like bubbles. Could that be the "delamination" Mr. Barker was talking about? Guess I'll have to replace it.

Shooter
    35mm
    Great topic - a question I wouldn't have thought to ask myself. Even better information - some ideas that would have never occured to me.

I, being the young photog pup that I am, use whatever tickles my fancy. There's no rhyme or reason to how I chose the filters I buy.

Images
    I use the double coated Hoyas that camerafilters.com sells. Good prices, low shipping and fast service.
    That is called grain. It is supposed to be there.
    =Neal W.=

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Coated lenses?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by John McCallum
    Coated lenses?
    John try this Hoya info link but never noticed any difference myself

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    I have a variety of different filters. I've tested them side by side, and multicoated filters really do produce less flare and ghosting than single coated or uncoated filters. Even a cheap multicoated filter like a Vivitar VMC is better than an uncoated filter. I've found resin filters to be a little better than uncoated filters.

Recently I've bought mainly B+W and Heliopan.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Guess we are all pretty much the same, I have mostly TIffens - red, green, yellow, polarizer. Some older Kodak #6 filters for the Crown Graphic - love the storage case these came in - red, orange, yellow and green. Did pick up a B+W yellow, and a couple of Canon brand filters (who knows who made them). They all have done there job and age ranges from about 20 years to a couple..just picked up a used blue filter last month. Haven't used it yet...will use it for some of the yellow/white brick buildings to see how it affects the contrast.
    Mike C

Rambles

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by David A. Goldfarb
    I have a variety of different filters. I've tested them side by side, and multicoated filters really do produce less flare and ghosting than single coated or uncoated filters. Even a cheap multicoated filter like a Vivitar VMC is better than an uncoated filter. I've found resin filters to be a little better than uncoated filters.

Recently I've bought mainly B+W and Heliopan.
    How about longevity?My filters are only a few years old(B+W's are about 2)
    Kept in good condition,clean,only brought out when needed how long do you
    think/know the average(or not so average)filter to last.Do some brands have a history of falling apart,fading,producing bad results sooner than others?
    "An object never performs the same function as its name or its image"-Rene Magritte

"An image of a dog does not bite"-William James applied to photography

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Jim it's the same with filter life from what I can see. The only time I've had to change mine is when I've dropped and dented a couple over the years or I've managed to scratch them in some way. If I find ones that have a richer colour then I can't resist. Otherwise all makes seem to go on for ever.

Except the sweety wrappers of course as they rip Btw don't try eating the real ones they taste yuk LOL

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin