Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,736   Posts: 1,515,523   Online: 1099

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Age vs. Format

Shooter
    Multi Format
    If you are concerned about size and weight, rangefinders are the answer. At 42 I can still lug around just about anything, but I don't want to. I generally use a Leica and a Hexar RF for 35mm. I have a 4x5 Polaroid conversion that weighs about the same as my Contax ST with a 50mm on it. It is hard to beat that for size of negative / weight. It is easy to use too since I can skip the tripod usually. Don't forget about the Fuji folders if you want light weight and medium format. Also the Zeiss Ikoflex is a great lightweight TLR, much lighter than a Rollei.

You can also carry more gear by carrying it smartly. When I am out with my 4x5 I leave the camera on the tripod (Gitzo with padded legs) and carry the lenses in a large hip pack (Orion AW by LowePro). The film holders go in a Victorinox sling. This setup is very comfortable and I can go quite a ways with it without feeling burdened. It is comfortable enough that I work with everything right on my body. I have no need to set anything down (except the tripod of course!)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I second (third, fourth) the suggestion for rangefinders. I'm relatively young (37) but am not in the best shape. After dragging an RZ67 on a long hike, I learned my lesson. The next hike I took a Bronica RF645 and was much happier. I actually got into rangefinders because my cropped frame DSLRS was too bulky, so I haven't dropped format, but gone up! I have 35mm, 6x4.5and 6x7 rangefinders and a multiformat 6x12 pinhole camera that is made of wood and is super light. So I think the question is more about weight of cameras more than format sizes, and there are lots of alternatives if you want to continue shooting big negs without the massive weight of some of the equipment.
    -----------------------

Segedi.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Irrespective of issues of age or condition/degree of physical infirmity, I recommend one turn to, and consider, the words of (my hero) the great Jay Maisel: "The more you carry, the less you shoot."

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by cmo View Post
    My suggestion for a good strategy:

Downsize to 35mm rangefinders.

Declare that grain is an essential ingredient of your personal style.

Later, put a clamp with a 1/4" screw on a rollator, also called wheeled walker and use it as a camera bag trolley and tripod.
    Might just come to that some day.
    And grain is good.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Since I have been standardizing myself to reversals, I do not find the need to pick up a MF anymore. When I do, it's reversals for them too.

As far as grain goes, it has to match the subject matter. "Just beceause" won't make it art.....

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Enjoy life and health while you still can. Take advantage of what abilities you have right now. Don't wait until it's too late like some of us do. Our recognition of our own weaknesses come too late. They sneak up and bite us before we even recognize their presence. Once it's gone it's gone and all we can do is reminisce of the past on forums.
    Last edited by Old-N-Feeble; 04-29-2012 at 03:02 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Bought this yesterday to help with the upcoming move to Hartsdale.
    I might just hold on to it, I'll probably need it when I upgrade to an 8X10 Camera.

Ron

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by M.A.Longmore View Post
    Bought this yesterday to help with the upcoming move to Hartsdale.
    I might just hold on to it, I'll probably need it when I upgrade to an 8X10 Camera.

Ron
    ????????????????????????

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by daleeman View Post
    ????????????????????????
    Whiskey Tango Foxtrot

What Happened To My Attachment ???

Enjoy The SuperMoon !

Ron
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Cameras On A Trolley 0002.jpg  

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by M.A.Longmore View Post
    Whiskey Tango Foxtrot

What Happened To My Attachment ???

Enjoy The SuperMoon !

Ron
    Get to grow hair, and hound like claws and howl at the moon again. Can't wait.

Like the cart idea. I looked a doing a kids plastic sled years back to follow me in the snow with the equipment. Now I'm trying to just justify going only to my range finders.

Lee

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin