Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,488   Posts: 1,571,323   Online: 862

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Age vs. Format

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by daleeman View Post
    Now I'm trying to just justify going only to my range finders.

Lee
    We'll have enough limitations when we are dead.
    Check Craigslist for garage sales, and yard sales, for a jogging stroller,
    and take those damn cameras out for some fresh air !

Ron

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    That's the spirit!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I had brain surgery nine years ago, and now have no sense of balance. I also lost 40 lbs in two months and am not as strong as I was. I'm downsizing the gear, but not the format. Just bought some plastic Elan bodies to replace the heavier metal bodies I don't like carrying anymore. I'm also carrying fewer, smaller primes, and leaving the L zooms at home. But I just bought a Yashica Mat 124G, will be taking it for a walk in the morning with a new (to me) Elan 7NE. We'll see how that goes.
    Fred Latchaw
    Seattle WA

I am beginning to resent being referred to as 'half-fast'.
    Whatever that's supposed to mean.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I'm almost seventy four and am fortunate that I don't have any health problems I swim, and work out a the gym twice a week, that I'm convinced helps keep my strength up to lug the equipment about, I've never shot large format only medium and 35mm, but I'm pleased to say I 'm still able to carry as much weight as I used to when I was younger if I have to, but with age comes wisdom ( hopefully) and try these days not to carry everything but the kitchen stove in case I need it, and I try to fit the subjects I shoot with the gear I have with me.
    Ben

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I can't believe I didn't check this thread out sooner. It was startes on the event of my 60th birthday, a time when it was all I could do to go from the chair to the bathroom. My health is much improved, but I still have days that I struggle with my health. I started packing my 4x5's in a modified golf tote, bag and two wheeled set-up, and enough room for my extra gear plus a Mamiya C-220 or 330, depending om my mood. I have pretty much stopped shooting 35mm, I love 6x6 and larger.
    Rick A
    Argentum aevum

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Images
    I have moved from mf rangefinders to 4x5 and 8x10. I love working with 8x10 film. I am hoping I can afford someday for Richard Ritter to make me a custom 7x14 camera .

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    At 73, last May, I traded in my 35mm gear and bought a Canon Digital P&S for family/casual/walk about shooting. I have become more interested in my 4X5 shooting and processing and donated my 35mm enlarger to a local high school. I feel I'm in a good place now. But... I haven't found a good way to to carry around the 8X10 Sinar P. It sets waiting for an adventure.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Bertilsson View Post
    Lee,I'm a staunch believer that simplicity helps vision; getting away from focusing too much on the camera, equipment, film, developers, etc, is a step closer to getting down to what truly matters - the prints.
    A man after my own heart (although less emphasis on the prints).

“The contemplation of things as they are, without error or confusion, without substitution or imposture, is in itself a nobler thing than a whole harvest of invention”

Francis Bacon

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    At 58, I seem to be going up in format size -- using an 11x14.

But I am going on a solo backpack next week. Trying to decide on 4x5 (with out-dated Tech Pan) or 5x7 with TMax400 or FP4. The goal is small carbon prints of the redwoods. I am leaning towards the 5x7, but my back is trying to convince me to take the 4x5 (weighs 2.5 pounds with the lens) instead of the 5x7, which is a much heavier Eastman View #2. It has a very good argument -- it would be fun to play with the Tech Pan.
    Last edited by Vaughn; 09-08-2012 at 04:20 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    At least with LF landscape, a bad day of photography can still be a good day of exercise.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Its great to see this thread has legs. I have not sold off the 4x5 equipment yet but am shooting with it less and less.

Since my OP I have had to check my mother and father into a nursiing home and that gives me an erie look into the future for myself. Also some strong motivation too. Like tomorrow I will take the Nikon 300mm and the N90s out to a hill over an area I have seen deer in early in the AM. Hope to see some and send prints down for mom and dad to see. (dad would probably tell me to not use a Nikon but a 30-06 to shoot a deer)

A lot changes with our bodies over time, I hope to keep adapting and still enjoying photography.

Lee

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin