Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,497   Posts: 1,543,054   Online: 1010

Shooter
    35mm
    Images

116 backing paper - exact dimensions

OK so I have been reading up on how to convert my old Kodak 116 folding camera to use 120 roll film and it seems quite easy but.....I thought, why not roll some 116 film? I have plenty of 70mm film. I bought some brass tubing and some washers from which I am confident I can fabricate 116 rolls. I have read the thread about "Exeter paper" for backing paper. Before I buy any, however, there is one missing ingredient:

What are the exact dimensions of 116 backing paper (width and length) and where are the markings (film frame numbers etc) placed?

If anyone can point me to an exact template, or has an old backing paper i could use as such, I would be obliged. I have seen some awesome pictures on the internet taken with the old Kodak Autographic Juniors, and I have even acquired a developing tank that will hold 116 film.

So any help to enable to me to fabricate backing paper would be most appreciated.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Why not buy a roll and take your measurements, make a pattern, etc. yourself.
    Items for sale or trade at www.Camera35.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    73mm x (approx) 70 inches. The 73mm width includes the edge "feathering" common with old Kodak stocks, so the actual width may be about 72mm.
    "Panic not my child, the Great Yellow Father has your hand"--Larry Dressler

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Thanks all - I did look recently on ebay and someone sold a couple of rolls for $15 or so - but they were from the 1950's. I have had problems with some 120 roll film I have here from the 1950's in which the backing paper and the film have fused, so I was a bit reluctant to offer to buy. I had just thought that the information must be available somewhere.

I guess what I need now is the placement of the markings.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    If your camera has a red window, you can use that to determine where on the paper the numbers need to be with respect to the edges of the paper.

And if you measure the film gate, you will most likely find that it is essentially twice the size (4.5" lengthwise) as in a 6x6 camera. So you can use the spacing on a 120 roll as a guide.

Depending on where the window is on your 116 camera, you may find that the spacing for frame numbers 2, 4, 6, 8 and 10 in the 6x6 set of numbers on the 120 backing paper will work, although not with optimum efficiency. The most efficient use would most likely be had from markings half-way between the following existing markings: 1 and 2, 3 and 4, 5 and 6, 7 and 8, 9 and 10 and 11 and 12 (all of course in the 2 1/4 x 2 1/4 row of numbers).

Hope this helps.

By the way, 616 film should have similar numbers, so if you find any of those they should work as a template.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Either the University of Rochester or the Rochester Institute of Technology in Rochester New York, I do not remember which, stocks film in the old style packaging. Contact one of them and buy the 116 roll with fresh film.

Steve
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    I could not see a link on either such institution's website for sales of film. Film for Classics now only sells through dealers, and B&H stocks their 116 film, but at $25/roll, no thank you.

If the information is not available on the web, I will guesstimate it. I know the film is 70mm wide. I can extrapolate from overall length of backing paper how much lead-in and lead-out I need, and I will calculate where the numbers should be placed.

Thanks especially to MattKing above for the helpful comments.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I wonder if these people might be able to help you with information about (or a sample of) the backing paper?

http://www.filmrescue.com/
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Now this really looks to be what you might need!

http://www.realtime.net/~donday/photo/paper-lengths.html
    Matt

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Excellent Matt! Thanks for this, it's exactly what I needed. Interesting that he uses the matt side of the Exeter paper on the inside - I would have done the opposite as the Matt side would presumably be easier to write the numbers on.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin