Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 73,635   Posts: 1,623,148   Online: 815

Page 15 of 54 FirstFirst ... 5910111213141516171819202125 ... LastLast

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by ColdEye View Post
    Enjoy. Ok another one, an Industar 61 LTM, focus is a bit stiff, scratches in front, no fungus that I can see. Tried it and there is a bit of a "glow" to the images. Some people like that effect, but not me. Free to someone who wants to experiment with it.
    Time to show my ignorance.

I know it's a lens, but what does it fit?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    It is a Leica Thread Mount (LTM) lens, it fits a variety of older Leica and other screw mount cameras. The thread is 39mm in diameter.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Newt_on_Swings View Post
    It is a Leica Thread Mount (LTM) lens, it fits a variety of older Leica and other screw mount cameras. The thread is 39mm in diameter.
    If its really long and unpronounceable it's likely to be a Leica as a general rule hahahaha

~Stone | Sent w/ iPhone using Tapatalk

Shooter
    35mm
    Now I know what LTM stands for.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by StoneNYC View Post
    If its really long and unpronounceable it's likely to be a Leica as a general rule hahahaha
    You got a problem with soo-mee-krawn and elmurrit, boy? :P
    The camera is the most incidental element of photography.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by okto View Post
    You got a problem with soo-mee-krawn and elmurrit, boy? :P
    Yes, they don't tell me anything about the damn thing lol, at least with for example canon uses DO for diffractive optics or comments on an Aspherical Element. In their description, rather than making unpronounceable names that make no sense unless you've grown up only with Leica or LF lenses. I've never understood some of the silly names they have or what they mean, Kodak too, they don't make any sense... How can I tell what's better, at least with canon I know the L lens is the better one...

~Stone | Sent w/ iPhone using Tapatalk

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I read somewhere (can't find the link) the lenses use a naming convention using Latin and Greek names. you can also go by the number of Ms the lens has, the more, the more expensive, and if there is a X in it even better!

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Newt_on_Swings View Post
    I read somewhere (can't find the link) the lenses use a naming convention using Latin and Greek names. you can also go by the number of Ms the lens has, the more, the more expensive, and if there is a X in it even better!
    m's? like super agulon isn't good because it has no M's in it? lol, I'm confused.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    m's? like super agulon isn't good because it has no M's in it? lol, I'm confused.
    It's just for Leica lenses! Lol

Shooter
    35mm
    Yes, they don't tell me anything about the damn thing
    Sure they do! You just don't know the code yet. Canon's letter salad wouldn't mean anything if you didn't know the code, either.

Leica's naming conventions actually tell you quite a lot once you know them, just like Canon's. Let's take a SUMMICRON-M 50mm f/2.0 for example. "Summ-" lets us know it's a double Gauss (aka Planar) design, "-cron" lets us know it's a mid-speed lens, and "-M" tells us it's got a fingertip focusing tab and the focal length engraved near the mount.

Without autofocus or IS or different image circles to cover, the deciding factor in choosing a Leica lens, and the only factor that the name could ever tell you, is what max aperture it has. You choose either slow (Summarit, Elmarit), fast (Summicron), fastest (Summilux), or insane (Noctilux). They're all the best lens Leica makes at that aperture, and they all work with every M body.

How can I tell what's better, at least with canon I know the L lens is the better one...
    That is a deeply flawed way of thinking. There is no "best" lens, not even if you just compare specs. Canon would like you to think the 24-70L is the best normal lens, while you may be much better served by a 50/1.8 that costs a twentieth as much and is faster, sharper, and lighter.

If we want to compare that back to Leica, all Leica lenses are the better one. It's just a choice of how wide an aperture you need.
    The camera is the most incidental element of photography.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin