Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,568   Posts: 1,573,488   Online: 818

Page 16 of 52 FirstFirst ... 61011121314151617181920212226 ... LastLast
    Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by okto View Post
    You got a problem with soo-mee-krawn and elmurrit, boy? :P
    Yes, they don't tell me anything about the damn thing lol, at least with for example canon uses DO for diffractive optics or comments on an Aspherical Element. In their description, rather than making unpronounceable names that make no sense unless you've grown up only with Leica or LF lenses. I've never understood some of the silly names they have or what they mean, Kodak too, they don't make any sense... How can I tell what's better, at least with canon I know the L lens is the better one...

~Stone | Sent w/ iPhone using Tapatalk
    ~Stone | "...of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." ~Dennis Miller

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I read somewhere (can't find the link) the lenses use a naming convention using Latin and Greek names. you can also go by the number of Ms the lens has, the more, the more expensive, and if there is a X in it even better!

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Newt_on_Swings View Post
    I read somewhere (can't find the link) the lenses use a naming convention using Latin and Greek names. you can also go by the number of Ms the lens has, the more, the more expensive, and if there is a X in it even better!
    m's? like super agulon isn't good because it has no M's in it? lol, I'm confused.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by StoneNYC View Post
    m's? like super agulon isn't good because it has no M's in it? lol, I'm confused.
    It's just for Leica lenses! Lol

Shooter
    35mm
    Yes, they don't tell me anything about the damn thing
    Sure they do! You just don't know the code yet. Canon's letter salad wouldn't mean anything if you didn't know the code, either.

Leica's naming conventions actually tell you quite a lot once you know them, just like Canon's. Let's take a SUMMICRON-M 50mm f/2.0 for example. "Summ-" lets us know it's a double Gauss (aka Planar) design, "-cron" lets us know it's a mid-speed lens, and "-M" tells us it's got a fingertip focusing tab and the focal length engraved near the mount.

Without autofocus or IS or different image circles to cover, the deciding factor in choosing a Leica lens, and the only factor that the name could ever tell you, is what max aperture it has. You choose either slow (Summarit, Elmarit), fast (Summicron), fastest (Summilux), or insane (Noctilux). They're all the best lens Leica makes at that aperture, and they all work with every M body.

How can I tell what's better, at least with canon I know the L lens is the better one...
    That is a deeply flawed way of thinking. There is no "best" lens, not even if you just compare specs. Canon would like you to think the 24-70L is the best normal lens, while you may be much better served by a 50/1.8 that costs a twentieth as much and is faster, sharper, and lighter.

If we want to compare that back to Leica, all Leica lenses are the better one. It's just a choice of how wide an aperture you need.
    The camera is the most incidental element of photography.

Shooter
    35mm
    It really sounds like your complaint is "non-Canon lenses don't use Canon lens designations", which, um...duh?
    The camera is the most incidental element of photography.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Rick A View Post
    Free, if you pay postage-- Canon FD 50/1.8 has rear cap only, in vg condition, has full aperture settings plus "a"
    Sears 80-200/4.0 FD mount vg condition has both caps.
    Getrting back to free schtuff... these are still waiting to go to a new home.
    Rick A
    Argentum aevum

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Sure they do! You just don't know the code yet. Canon's letter salad wouldn't mean anything if you didn't know the code, either.

Leica's naming conventions actually tell you quite a lot once you know them, just like Canon's. Let's take a SUMMICRON-M 50mm f/2.0 for example. "Summ-" lets us know it's a double Gauss (aka Planar) design, "-cron" lets us know it's a mid-speed lens, and "-M" tells us it's got a fingertip focusing tab and the focal length engraved near the mount.

Without autofocus or IS or different image circles to cover, the deciding factor in choosing a Leica lens, and the only factor that the name could ever tell you, is what max aperture it has. You choose either slow (Summarit, Elmarit), fast (Summicron), fastest (Summilux), or insane (Noctilux). They're all the best lens Leica makes at that aperture, and they all work with every M body.

That is a deeply flawed way of thinking. There is no "best" lens, not even if you just compare specs. Canon would like you to think the 24-70L is the best normal lens, while you may be much better served by a 50/1.8 that costs a twentieth as much and is faster, sharper, and lighter.

If we want to compare that back to Leica, all Leica lenses are the better one. It's just a choice of how wide an aperture you need.
    That's a little helpful, but what's planar mean? :-0

The 24-70 IS the best when it comes to a ZOOM lens in the mid range. It's no prime lens, I can't think of any zoom lens that compared to a prime. Even the 70-200 IS Mark 2 lens, though super sharp, has difficulty on the distortion end, even if the CA is non-existent.

Anyway. You're right I don't know the code, but I just wish the code was in English lol!

The info was helpful to a degree, but why do they have these strange names, I mean even Kodak has them, I just don't understand.

It really sounds like your complaint is "non-Canon lenses don't use Canon lens designations", which, um...duh?
    Now now, my complaint is that they are difficult to understand for an outsider. Even my Mamiya MF lenses have simple designations.

Anyway I'll probably never own one but I would like to understand them. Do they have any connection in names to LF lenses?

~Stone | "...of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." ~Dennis Miller

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Get a copy of Vade Mecum,a lens collector's vade mecum* by M. Wilkinson and C. Glanfield

*Vade mecum: Eng. a book or manual suitable for carrying about with one for ready reference(1629): a casket set by Busch (1890's).
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Yes, they don't tell me anything about the damn thing lol, at least with for example canon uses DO for diffractive optics or comments on an Aspherical Element. In their description, rather than making unpronounceable names that make no sense unless you've grown up only with Leica or LF lenses. I've never understood some of the silly names they have or what they mean, Kodak too, they don't make any sense... How can I tell what's better, at least with canon I know the L lens is the better one...

stone you forgot
    that leica has thousands
    of accessories that are obscure
    and i find it equally as funny that
    someone may say
    " you mean you don't have a FODGELR?!"
    and it is a mini camel's hair brush for the eyepiece
    that sold in 1952 and clipped onto the budda-ear m2s
    with serial numbers between xxxxxxx02 and xxxxxxx26

leica thread mount lenses not only fit leicas, but
    all the INEXPENSIVE AND WONDERFUL russian clones
    ( like zorki's fed's and their cousins )

no need to fret stone .. only people who need to know
    leica jargon know leica jargon.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin