Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,211   Posts: 1,531,986   Online: 1119

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm

Not sure what cameras have this

Ok, my first question...this is actually for my brother (he is autistic and wants me to ask for him) , he is after a particular style of camera but isn't sure what brands and models use this style...
    I'll try to explain the best i can....its to do with loading the film....there is a hole where you drop the film then close the cover without needing to do any fancy loading technique.
    If anyone knows, please help so he can search for places to buy.
    Thanks from Casey.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    That is kind to help him out, welcome to Apug!

Could he be thinking of an APS film canister and compatible camera?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Advanced_Photo_System#_

If so unfortunately for him, I don't believe that format is made anymore (I could be wrong).

However I believe there are many models that will automatically load a standard 35mm canister if that kind of functionality is what he is after.

Is he looking for a camera that takes film that he doesn't need to manually load and advance the film?
    Last edited by zsas; 05-06-2012 at 12:20 AM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: Fix link
    Andy

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Not quite 'drop in' but the Canon cameras with quick load are fairly simple:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LVTprc6x8MQ

This includes some of their olders SLRs and rangefinders like the Canonet QL line.

Some digital SLRs are about as simple.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by zsas View Post
    That is kind to help him out, welcome to Apug!

Could he be thinking of an APS film canister and compatible camera?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Advanced_Photo_System#_

If so unfortunately for him, I don't believe that format is made anymore (I could be wrong).

However I believe there are many models that will automatically load a standard 35mm canister if that kind of functionality is what he is after.

Is he looking for a camera that takes film that he doesn't need to manually load and advance the film?
    hey, Thanks, i checked it out and yes i think that is it, i will ask him as soon as i can to make sure, maybe he could find one on ebay....to answer your question, i don't know i will have to ask him...he probably did tell me but he is so full of information it is hard to take it all in. Thanks again, for looking it up

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Casey just watch out with APS-C. Although I'm sure you could find a camera on e-bay, you will struggle to find film for it, and there are not many labs that will process it. As far as I know, traditional B&W film was never available in APS-C, so even home processing would be difficult (although certainly possible using C-41 chemicals). If you do find a lab that can process it, it will probably be quite expensive as it's not a standard format any more. On top of which, the image quality is not great because the image size on the film is onlay about half the image size on 35mm film.

So if at all possible, an autoloading 35mm camera would be better. You typically just open the back, insert the film cannister, pull out the leader over the sprocket and then close the back again.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by andrew.roos View Post
    Casey just watch out with APS-C. Although I'm sure you could find a camera on e-bay, you will struggle to find film for it, and there are not many labs that will process it. As far as I know, traditional B&W film was never available in APS-C, so even home processing would be difficult (although certainly possible using C-41 chemicals). If you do find a lab that can process it, it will probably be quite expensive as it's not a standard format any more. On top of which, the image quality is not great because the image size on the film is onlay about half the image size on 35mm film.

So if at all possible, an autoloading 35mm camera would be better. You typically just open the back, insert the film cannister, pull out the leader over the sprocket and then close the back again.
    Thanks, you've saved money and time
    I will pass this info onto him, that sounds simple enough i'm sure this will be fine...thanks again...from Casey.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian Legge View Post
    Not quite 'drop in' but the Canon cameras with quick load are fairly simple:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LVTprc6x8MQ

This includes some of their olders SLRs and rangefinders like the Canonet QL line.

Some digital SLRs are about as simple.
    Hmm. I didn't find loading film in those digital SLRs simple at all...
    I do use a digital device in my photographic pursuits when necessary.
    When someone rags on me for using film, I use a middle digit, upraised.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    On my Nikon N60 that's pretty much it for loading. I expect it's true also for the most recent point and shoots from just about any manufacturer.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Shooting instant cameras are easy with regards to loading and unloading of film (it spits it out for ya!).

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    I have a Canon rebel K2 that loads similarly except it prewinds. You just load it like the video above except there is no rewind knob and you just put the film in and close the door... it prewinds the film electronically and is probably the easiest SLR I've ever used. I think they can be had for pretty cheap used on ebay, and I'm thinking that most of the rebel cameras have a similar loading system. (I'm not sure of this, though... most of my experience is with the AE1)

Ed

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin