Switch to English Language Passer en langue franÁaise Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,847   Posts: 1,582,775   Online: 851

Page 10 of 18 FirstFirst ... 45678910111213141516 ... LastLast
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by LJSLATER View Post
    I think my most unpleasant experience with any camera was an Argus brick I found in a clothing store. I think the Argus is very adorable and aesthetically pleasing, but definitely NOT a joy to use or even to hold.
    Which goes to show you probably shouldn't purchase your cameras at clothing stores...

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by andrew.roos View Post
    Which goes to show you probably shouldn't purchase your cameras at clothing stores...
    Yeah, well....

My wife was shopping for clothes at Anthropologie and I was bored. There it was on a little shelf, labeled as a "statement accessory". They even had some (Lomo) 35mm film for sale too, which I didn't buy.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Wasn't there a camera called a seagull and would that fit into this post?

ďThe contemplation of things as they are, without error or confusion, without substitution or imposture, is in itself a nobler thing than a whole harvest of inventionĒ

Francis Bacon

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by cliveh View Post
    Wasn't there a camera called a seagull and would that fit into this post?
    There was (is?) a Chinese TLR called a Seagul. But I think it's more an example of bad build and bad materials than bad design. I've never actually seen one in person though so I could be wrong about that. But if they just copied the classics like the Rollei and Yashicamat the design is quite sound. The execution, however, could leave much to be desired if done poorly. About the best thing I've heard about the Seagull is that it isn't as bad as the Lubitel TLR.

The discussions of Russian cameras reminds me of a saying in aviation, "If itís ugly, itís British. If itís weird, itís French. And if itís ugly and weird, itís Russian."

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I have the most recent seagull 4a-109, which was their top of the line 4 element taking lens version. It is a pretty much direct copy of a rolli or yashica d but with little ad ons like a hotshoe and split prism focusing.

The images are decent from it and far from a holga, though I do prefer the taking lens on my much older yashicaflex c. The manufacturing tolerances are lower and you can see it when looking closely, things just aren't ad smooth, from the fit and build, to the focusing, he'll even the split prism is slightly off from horizontal.

As for the Holga, if you check out the story behind it, and see the interview with the inventor, you can see how its build and design met its every original intention and then some. A simple to manufacture camera and lens, with very few parts, a low cost of production that did not need highly skilled labor to assemble. A camera for the masses in china.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The worst camera design to me is one where the interface gets in the way of taking pictures. I have two particular entries for that chamber of horrors, the Maxxum 7000 and the Contax 167MT. Shutter speed control on the 7000 is a pair of up/down buttons that had me so annoyed that I ditched the camera after only a few months. On the 167MT it's a slider switch; I tried using it for almost a year, but I could never remember which way to slide the switch to raise the shutter speed.

Besides those two, there are some other nits that bother me. The EOS 3 has the most obnoxious mirror slap/shutter/winder noise I've ever heard. The Minolta XE-7 has its power switch just under my right thumb where I was constantly turning the camera off while trying to take a picture. The Photura felt like a cheap plastic tube, and its flash/lens cap, while ingenious in concept, was poorly executed. The Canon New F-1 needing a change of focusing screen to change the metering pattern. Any camera that requires changing a custom function to engage mirror lock-up. The Canon T70 and T80 were just butt-ugly. The Minolta Riva Zoom 105i... words fail me.

The Nikon F4s is a special case. Its 'silent mode' is beyond ridiculous. It has a vast assortment of interlocks that prevent you from changing anything without stopping what you're doing. Its batteries go in two different locations. Screw-drive AF. The list goes on, and yet it's one of my favorite cameras. I hated having to sell mine, and fully intend to get another when finances improve.
    Fred Latchaw
    Seattle WA

I am beginning to resent being referred to as 'half-fast'.
    Whatever that's supposed to mean.

Shooter
    Large Format
    While having a leaf shutter on a 35mm slr was nice, I could never remember to set the max aperture for the lens on the camera body, every time I switched lenses on my Topcon Unirex.
    needing a mercury battery is a bummer too.
    "There are a great many things I am in doubt about at the moment, and I should consider myself favoured if you would kindly enlighten me. Signed, Doubtful, off to Canada." (BJP 1914).

Regards
    Bill

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    As this thread seems to be also picking up on bad design functions on cameras. How about the Vivitar 35mm, which has a double exposure button on the front right where you normally place your index finger. Why arn't cameras designed by photographers and not marketing people?

ďThe contemplation of things as they are, without error or confusion, without substitution or imposture, is in itself a nobler thing than a whole harvest of inventionĒ

Francis Bacon

epp
    Shooter
    Holga
    Quote Originally Posted by cliveh View Post
    Why is this camera so popular? I didnít even take it seriously when I first saw it and still donít.
    The Holga is an inexpensive introduction to medium-format film photography.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Roger Cole View Post
    There was (is?) a Chinese TLR called a Seagul. But I think it's more an example of bad build and bad materials than bad design. I've never actually seen one in person though so I could be wrong about that. But if they just copied the classics like the Rollei and Yashicamat the design is quite sound. The execution, however, could leave much to be desired if done poorly. About the best thing I've heard about the Seagull is that it isn't as bad as the Lubitel TLR.

The discussions of Russian cameras reminds me of a saying in aviation, "If itís ugly, itís British. If itís weird, itís French. And if itís ugly and weird, itís Russian."
    I have a Seagull 4B-1 (I assume, everything else is in Chinese).and it is actually a fairly good design. Very simple, very easy to use. Has a cocking lever to set the shutter, and uses the red window and knob arrangement to advance the film. Very little to go wrong. Sadly, questionable build quality means stuff may go wrong. The focus on mine is pretty out of alignment, to the point the camera doesn't close, and the leatherette is peeling quite badly. Other than that it works flawlessly.
    Good camera to introduce someone to MF with.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  ó   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin