Switch to English Language Passer en langue franÁaise Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 74,445   Posts: 1,643,392   Online: 753

Page 10 of 17 FirstFirst ... 45678910111213141516 ... LastLast

Shooter
    Large Format
    While having a leaf shutter on a 35mm slr was nice, I could never remember to set the max aperture for the lens on the camera body, every time I switched lenses on my Topcon Unirex.
    needing a mercury battery is a bummer too.
    "There are a great many things I am in doubt about at the moment, and I should consider myself favoured if you would kindly enlighten me. Signed, Doubtful, off to Canada." (BJP 1914).

Regards
    Bill

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    As this thread seems to be also picking up on bad design functions on cameras. How about the Vivitar 35mm, which has a double exposure button on the front right where you normally place your index finger. Why arn't cameras designed by photographers and not marketing people?

ďThe contemplation of things as they are, without error or confusion, without substitution or imposture, is in itself a nobler thing than a whole harvest of inventionĒ

Francis Bacon

epp
    Shooter
    Holga
    Quote Originally Posted by cliveh View Post
    Why is this camera so popular? I didnít even take it seriously when I first saw it and still donít.
    The Holga is an inexpensive introduction to medium-format film photography.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Roger Cole View Post
    There was (is?) a Chinese TLR called a Seagul. But I think it's more an example of bad build and bad materials than bad design. I've never actually seen one in person though so I could be wrong about that. But if they just copied the classics like the Rollei and Yashicamat the design is quite sound. The execution, however, could leave much to be desired if done poorly. About the best thing I've heard about the Seagull is that it isn't as bad as the Lubitel TLR.

The discussions of Russian cameras reminds me of a saying in aviation, "If itís ugly, itís British. If itís weird, itís French. And if itís ugly and weird, itís Russian."
    I have a Seagull 4B-1 (I assume, everything else is in Chinese).and it is actually a fairly good design. Very simple, very easy to use. Has a cocking lever to set the shutter, and uses the red window and knob arrangement to advance the film. Very little to go wrong. Sadly, questionable build quality means stuff may go wrong. The focus on mine is pretty out of alignment, to the point the camera doesn't close, and the leatherette is peeling quite badly. Other than that it works flawlessly.
    Good camera to introduce someone to MF with.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Discoman View Post
    I have a Seagull 4B-1 (I assume, everything else is in Chinese).and it is actually a fairly good design. Very simple, very easy to use. Has a cocking lever to set the shutter, and uses the red window and knob arrangement to advance the film. Very little to go wrong. Sadly, questionable build quality means stuff may go wrong. The focus on mine is pretty out of alignment, to the point the camera doesn't close, and the leatherette is peeling quite badly. Other than that it works flawlessly.
    Good camera to introduce someone to MF with.
    If it doesn't scare them away!
    I do use a digital device in my photographic pursuits when necessary.
    When someone rags on me for using film, I use a middle digit, upraised.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Yeah, a back that won't close and focus that's out is not a good introduction to medium format. I paid $150 for my Yashicamat 124. Better introduction to MF IMHO.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Roger Cole View Post
    Yeah, a back that won't close and focus that's out is not a good introduction to medium format. I paid $150 for my Yashicamat 124. Better introduction to MF IMHO.
    Sorry, let me rephrase that better. The case will not close around the camera, and the lensboard/whatever it is correctly called will not close to the body. I can't at the moment focus on anything more than 20 meters away.
    The actual back closes and locks fine, it even has a small latch that needs to be held in to rotate the lock, which is a feature even my rollei lacks.

For the cost of 'almost nothing' I have gotten more out of it than I paid for it.

Good design on paper, could be good if made well, bad camera because they weren't made well.

Shooter
    Medium Format

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by brianmquinn View Post
    Have you ever used one?

Holga, spawn of satan. Those cheesy, easily bent tin clips that hold the back on also attach to the neck strap so when (and they will) the clip gives out you also get to experience your camera falling open at your feet and your film rolling off into the sunset. I have left my share of broken Holgas in trash cans in some very scenic areas.
    Those new 617 format Holgas are sure tempting, but I'll resist.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  ó   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin