Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,495   Posts: 1,543,019   Online: 775

Page 11 of 18 FirstFirst ... 567891011121314151617 ... LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Discoman View Post
    I have a Seagull 4B-1 (I assume, everything else is in Chinese).and it is actually a fairly good design. Very simple, very easy to use. Has a cocking lever to set the shutter, and uses the red window and knob arrangement to advance the film. Very little to go wrong. Sadly, questionable build quality means stuff may go wrong. The focus on mine is pretty out of alignment, to the point the camera doesn't close, and the leatherette is peeling quite badly. Other than that it works flawlessly.
    Good camera to introduce someone to MF with.
    If it doesn't scare them away!
    I do use a digital device in my photographic pursuits when necessary.
    When someone rags on me for using film, I use a middle digit, upraised.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Yeah, a back that won't close and focus that's out is not a good introduction to medium format. I paid $150 for my Yashicamat 124. Better introduction to MF IMHO.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Roger Cole View Post
    Yeah, a back that won't close and focus that's out is not a good introduction to medium format. I paid $150 for my Yashicamat 124. Better introduction to MF IMHO.
    Sorry, let me rephrase that better. The case will not close around the camera, and the lensboard/whatever it is correctly called will not close to the body. I can't at the moment focus on anything more than 20 meters away.
    The actual back closes and locks fine, it even has a small latch that needs to be held in to rotate the lock, which is a feature even my rollei lacks.

For the cost of 'almost nothing' I have gotten more out of it than I paid for it.

Good design on paper, could be good if made well, bad camera because they weren't made well.

Shooter
    Medium Format

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by brianmquinn View Post
    Have you ever used one?

Holga, spawn of satan. Those cheesy, easily bent tin clips that hold the back on also attach to the neck strap so when (and they will) the clip gives out you also get to experience your camera falling open at your feet and your film rolling off into the sunset. I have left my share of broken Holgas in trash cans in some very scenic areas.
    Those new 617 format Holgas are sure tempting, but I'll resist.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Maybe the latest cool accessory will be a big rubber band to hold it together- and it will cost a mere 10 bucks.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Rapid Omegas 100's and 200's

In theory..they should be GREAT..interchangable lenses..rangefinder focusing.. even swapping film backs on the 200 (right??)

but man..what a clunky system that always felt like it was about to fall apart

and that ratcheting that film deal.. it got stck more times than not

I'd still like to have a 200 with a 58 & finder..but.. oy

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by andrew.roos View Post
    Which goes to show you probably shouldn't purchase your cameras at clothing stores...
    Or clothes at a camera store...
    At least with LF landscape, a bad day of photography can still be a good day of exercise.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Except photographers' vests!

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin