Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 73,088   Posts: 1,612,331   Online: 1188
      
Page 7 of 17 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 ... LastLast
Results 61 to 70 of 163
  1. #61
    Thomas Bertilsson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Minnesota
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    14,700
    Images
    288
    Nobody mentioned the Holga yet. The plastic piece of $hit makes some pretty interesting pictures, and is like a liberation army in escaping technical mumbo jumbo. Basically, aim, shoot, wind, repeat.
    But I have never had a camera that scratched my film so badly, and needed so many modifications just to function. For example, the high tech foam that's supposed to tension both spools of film comes off in hot weather and gets wound up with the film on the take-up spool. A very interesting feature. I have to tape the back door with gaffers tape or it comes off mid-roll. I've had to polish the interior with the finest grit sandpaper I could find, and then use coarse paper to get it even finer, in order to avoid scratching the film along the film guide, and it STILL scratches my film (I had two of them do this).

    So, I gave up, put one of the cameras in the street, and ran it over with my car. Felt great.

    But, to me that is by far the worst camera design of all time. There is no comparison.
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

    "Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

    "...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

  2. #62

    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Adirondacks
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    3,789
    Quote Originally Posted by Steven L View Post
    So, in order to make the ultimate camera, design-wise you have to have 4 models. One left handed/left eyed, one left handed/right eyed, one right handed/left eyed and one right handed, right eyed. Or a way to modulate or reverse the camera.
    Design-wise my "ultimate" camera is either my Linhof STIV or my Deardorff V8, which have no film advance and are viewed with both eyes open.

  3. #63
    Steve Smith's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Ryde, Isle of Wight
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Posts
    8,816
    Images
    122
    Quote Originally Posted by Steven L View Post
    So, in order to make the ultimate camera, design-wise you have to have 4 models. One left handed/left eyed, one left handed/right eyed, one right handed/left eyed and one right handed, right eyed. Or a way to modulate or reverse the camera.
    No.

    One camera with two viewfinders, two shutter buttons and two winding levers!


    Steve.
    "People who say things won't work are a dime a dozen. People who figure out how to make things work are worth a fortune" - Dave Rat.

  4. #64
    David A. Goldfarb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    Honolulu, Hawai'i
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Posts
    17,560
    Images
    20
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Fromm View Post
    RB too, David?
    Yours, perhaps, but alas not mine. Eventually I'll get around to finding a Home Portrait model.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

  5. #65

    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Adirondacks
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    3,789
    Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Bertilsson View Post
    Nobody mentioned the Holga yet. The plastic piece of $hit makes some pretty interesting pictures, and is like a liberation army in escaping technical mumbo jumbo. Basically, aim, shoot, wind, repeat.
    But I have never had a camera that scratched my film so badly, and needed so many modifications just to function. For example, the high tech foam that's supposed to tension both spools of film comes off in hot weather and gets wound up with the film on the take-up spool. A very interesting feature. I have to tape the back door with gaffers tape or it comes off mid-roll. I've had to polish the interior with the finest grit sandpaper I could find, and then use coarse paper to get it even finer, in order to avoid scratching the film along the film guide, and it STILL scratches my film (I had two of them do this).

    So, I gave up, put one of the cameras in the street, and ran it over with my car. Felt great.

    But, to me that is by far the worst camera design of all time. There is no comparison.
    The Holga wasn't designed. Eggs from a Brownie and sperm from a mutated Zorki were mixed on a hot rock; the resulting fertile ova were then moved to a dark room next to a research reactor in Magnetogorsk. A few weeks later, they had the Holga prototype, which was then put in production by insane dwarves living in the sewers of Kiev.
    After Chernobyl, and then the fall of the Iron Curtain, imprisoned schizoid peat diggers were put in charge of production while marketing was taken over by refugees from the mountains of Albania.

  6. #66

    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Toronto ON Canada
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Posts
    547
    Any camera without the shutter release on the left side is not as good as an Exacta. I think the Argus C3 has to be the worst design, a hollowed out brick. The camer itself isnot bad, just the shape.

    A southpaw from Toronto

  7. #67
    MattKing's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Delta, British Columbia, Canada
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    13,262
    Images
    60
    Quote Originally Posted by Steven L View Post
    So, in order to make the ultimate camera, design-wise you have to have 4 models. One left handed/left eyed, one left handed/right eyed, one right handed/left eyed and one right handed, right eyed. Or a way to modulate or reverse the camera.
    A 45 degree prism finder, a shape that permits holding with either hand and some duplication of controls (e.g. two shutter releases) can go a long way to achieving this in a single design. And the ability to choose between left and right sided grips would help too.
    Matt

    “Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

    Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

  8. #68
    Thomas Bertilsson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Minnesota
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    14,700
    Images
    288
    Quote Originally Posted by E. von Hoegh View Post
    The Holga wasn't designed. Eggs from a Brownie and sperm from a mutated Zorki were mixed on a hot rock; the resulting fertile ova were then moved to a dark room next to a research reactor in Magnetogorsk. A few weeks later, they had the Holga prototype, which was then put in production by insane dwarves living in the sewers of Kiev.
    After Chernobyl, and then the fall of the Iron Curtain, imprisoned schizoid peat diggers were put in charge of production while marketing was taken over by refugees from the mountains of Albania.
    Interesting story. It helps my appreciation of this camera to know its origins.
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

    "Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

    "...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

  9. #69

    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Adirondacks
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    3,789
    Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Bertilsson View Post
    Interesting story. It helps my appreciation of this camera to know its origins.
    You're welcome. Few know these little details.

    For instance, the books all say I died in 1915.......
    Last edited by E. von Hoegh; 05-17-2012 at 04:32 PM. Click to view previous post history.

  10. #70
    cliveh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Shooter
    35mm RF
    Posts
    3,863
    Images
    344
    Quote Originally Posted by E. von Hoegh View Post
    The Holga wasn't designed. Eggs from a Brownie and sperm from a mutated Zorki were mixed on a hot rock; the resulting fertile ova were then moved to a dark room next to a research reactor in Magnetogorsk. A few weeks later, they had the Holga prototype, which was then put in production by insane dwarves living in the sewers of Kiev.
    After Chernobyl, and then the fall of the Iron Curtain, imprisoned schizoid peat diggers were put in charge of production while marketing was taken over by refugees from the mountains of Albania.
    Why is this camera so popular? I didn’t even take it seriously when I first saw it and still don’t.

    “The contemplation of things as they are, without error or confusion, without substitution or imposture, is in itself a nobler thing than a whole harvest of invention”

    Francis Bacon



 

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:



Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin