Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,878   Posts: 1,520,369   Online: 1145

Page 8 of 18 FirstFirst ... 234567891011121314 ... LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Steven L View Post
    So, in order to make the ultimate camera, design-wise you have to have 4 models. One left handed/left eyed, one left handed/right eyed, one right handed/left eyed and one right handed, right eyed. Or a way to modulate or reverse the camera.
    A 45 degree prism finder, a shape that permits holding with either hand and some duplication of controls (e.g. two shutter releases) can go a long way to achieving this in a single design. And the ability to choose between left and right sided grips would help too.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by E. von Hoegh View Post
    The Holga wasn't designed. Eggs from a Brownie and sperm from a mutated Zorki were mixed on a hot rock; the resulting fertile ova were then moved to a dark room next to a research reactor in Magnetogorsk. A few weeks later, they had the Holga prototype, which was then put in production by insane dwarves living in the sewers of Kiev.
    After Chernobyl, and then the fall of the Iron Curtain, imprisoned schizoid peat diggers were put in charge of production while marketing was taken over by refugees from the mountains of Albania.
    Interesting story. It helps my appreciation of this camera to know its origins.
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Bertilsson View Post
    Interesting story. It helps my appreciation of this camera to know its origins.
    You're welcome. Few know these little details.

For instance, the books all say I died in 1915.......
    Last edited by E. von Hoegh; 05-17-2012 at 03:32 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    The Holga wasn't designed. Eggs from a Brownie and sperm from a mutated Zorki were mixed on a hot rock; the resulting fertile ova were then moved to a dark room next to a research reactor in Magnetogorsk. A few weeks later, they had the Holga prototype, which was then put in production by insane dwarves living in the sewers of Kiev.
    After Chernobyl, and then the fall of the Iron Curtain, imprisoned schizoid peat diggers were put in charge of production while marketing was taken over by refugees from the mountains of Albania.
    Why is this camera so popular? I didn’t even take it seriously when I first saw it and still don’t.

“The contemplation of things as they are, without error or confusion, without substitution or imposture, is in itself a nobler thing than a whole harvest of invention”

Francis Bacon

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by cliveh View Post
    Why is this camera so popular? I didn’t even take it seriously when I first saw it and still don’t.
    I tried it and liked it, because it helped free my mind of all the clutter that is normally involved in shooting. It FORCED me to not meter, fudge the focus, and just 'see'.

For a while I even thought the vignette and focus fall-off was cool, but have since changed my mind about that, thinking that it's too much of a gimmick. Now I prefer a simple to use Leica, but am grateful to the 'plastic piece of $hit' because it taught me a valuable lesson regarding eliminating as many barriers between the subject matter and myself as possible.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Sirius Glass View Post
    Yes, like Graflex, Speed Graphic, Crown Graphic, View Graphic. All such terrible cameras!
    I hope that was sarcastic
    www.EASmithV.com

"The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera."— Dorothea Lange
    http://www.flickr.com/easmithv/
    RIP Kodachrome

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by cliveh View Post
    Well, it can be a fashion statement, a hipster talisman, a "retro" statement, a "tool" for those who cannot make a sharp, properly focussed image with anything and therefore use a camera that is incapable of forming a sharp, properly focussed image; fools who've bought the hype that it makes 'dreamy" images, and so on.
    It's very well marketed to a specific target (see above).

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Bertilsson View Post
    I tried it and liked it, because it helped free my mind of all the clutter that is normally involved in shooting. It FORCED me to not meter, fudge the focus, and just 'see'.

For a while I even thought the vignette and focus fall-off was cool, but have since changed my mind about that, thinking that it's too much of a gimmick. Now I prefer a simple to use Leica, but am grateful to the 'plastic piece of $hit' because it taught me a valuable lesson regarding eliminating as many barriers between the subject matter and myself as possible.
    For me, that lesson was learned with a Kodak 35, a cheap basic 35 that was capable of far better results than I at first realised. Coupled with an income derived from mowing the neighbors' lawns, it taught me to be miserly with frames and use a meter if I didn't want to waste what to me was very expensive film.

Edit - I didn't learn properly to "see" until I started using an 8x10, one lens, film, developer, and contact printing the results.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    For me, that lesson was learned with a Kodak 35, a cheap basic 35 that was capable of far better results than I at first realised. Coupled with an income derived from mowing the neighbors' lawns, it taught me to be miserly with frames and use a meter if I didn't want to waste what to me was very expensive film.

Edit - I didn't learn properly to "see" until I started using an 8x10, one lens, film, developer, and contact printing the results.
    Film is pretty inexpensive, but I too remember a time where I had to look for deals to afford photography.

Sheet film was a huge disappointment to me; 4x5 and 5x7 was a total waste of time and money. I had to go back to medium format to save myself from being too technical and thinking too much. Funny how different we all are!

To counter the question of poor camera design, I think that the camera that allows presents the least amount of barriers between subject matter and the photographer's senses is the best one, and the worst one is a camera that completely clutters the work flow with considerations. The more intuitive it is to use, the better it is, and the more you have to think, the more it sucks.
    But then again, practice makes perfect, so maybe with enough use any camera can be easy enough to shoot with... I think consistency matters, and something that seemed counter-intuitive to begin with can be a very good solution. For example, I love shooting my Hasselblad hand held. I would not have thought it when I got it, but now it's as obvious as day that we get along very well working together.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    For those who want the release on the left side, the Voigtlander Bessa II may be for you. I had one with a Heliar, loved the lens, and it was fine on a tripod or for verticals, but I found it too awkward to hold for horizontals--not that it was uncomfortable, but I was seeing more camera shake than I was happy with on the negs.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Page 8 of 18 FirstFirst ... 234567891011121314 ... LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin