Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,872   Posts: 1,520,095   Online: 800

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Well Water

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Well Water

Note to self: always check to be sure that the rust remover salt in the water softening system is full before printing in the darkroom. Nothing worse than spending several hours printing, putting the prints in the wash with clear clean water, then returning a half hour later to discover the water is all brown. Gah!! I had plenty of the salt on hand, but hadn't looked into the container that holds it in several weeks. Added three bags late yesterday, today, the water water should clear up and I will be reprinting on Wednesday (a rare week with darkroom time, yay, but bumming that I have to redo stuff).

Will never make that mistake again... I'm just saying...

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    I may have misunderstood. Just for clarity, be sure to wait until after the water softener has cycled. Ours is set to purge at 3 AM. Any water prior to that will still be rusty.

I added an inline canister filter from Lowes or Home Depot between the water softener and the darkroom sink. I have 3 and 1 micron filter choices. This was to get those final little dark spots rather than the whole rush of rusty covered by the water softener. It slows the flow considerably, but is worth the wait at our house out in the country. I turn it off to regain normal speed when I am not in the darkroom. We run drinking water through a Brita in the kitchen.

Looking forward to meeting you in MI.

John Powers
    "If you want to be famous, you must do something more badly than anybody in the entire world." Miroslav Tichı

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I might add something like that, John. Yes, I think it will cycle through today.... ours is set similarly to purge in the middle of the night. Water is looking less brown this morning, but still a little cloudy. Hopefully, by tomorrow, it'll be clear again. If not, I'll wait another day. I'm looking forward to Michigan as well!!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Or, think of it as a new way of toning! We have high iron content in our water and I've experienced the same thing.
    Bruce

Moma don't take my Kodachrome away!
    Oops, Kodak just did!

BruceCSdunekPhotography.zenfolio.com

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    aww, crap... something else that I hadn't thought about. I'm building a darkroom and I'm on well water. We don't even have a water softener. It just comes out of the ground and into the tank. I thought I had it all planned out.

Ed

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I'm on well water as well and we have an excellent softening system that is also equipped to remove iron. But I also have an inline canister filter for my darkroom. The cartridges start out white and as I routinely change them they are always black after a period of time. I definitely recommend installing one for each water line in the darkroom.

http://www.jeffreyglasser.com/

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by EdGallop View Post
    aww, crap... something else that I hadn't thought about. I'm building a darkroom and I'm on well water. We don't even have a water softener. It just comes out of the ground and into the tank. I thought I had it all planned out.

Ed
    You might not have issues. Then, again, you might have big problems. It depends on your water quality.

Have your well water tested. Make sure they check for iron, sulfur and dissolved minerals. Most water quality testing labs do but just check to be sure.

Who knows? Your water might be all right.
    Randy S.

In girum imus nocte et consumimur igni.

-----

http://www.flickr.com/photos/randystankey/

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Yeah... hopefully it turns out ok... we don't get stains in the tub or anything like that so maybe I don't have anything to worry about.

Ed

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Since my forty year old submersible pump and the iron pipe it hung from were replaced with newer materials (primarily the horribly rusted pipe is now plastic), I see no rust problems straight out of the ground. I do mix my processing chemicals with distilled water, but general rinsing actions with well water have been OK. The problems probably vary wildly in different geographic areas and even between wells, you just have to test and experiment.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    That's good to hear... I have plastic pipes too. I was planning to mix my chems with bottled water anyway.

Ed

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin