Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,225   Posts: 1,532,663   Online: 830

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The camera is indeed the missing link, and will decide if I really want the deal or not. If it's a Toyoview with an average lens probably not. But if it's a good camera with a good lens (judging by the quality of the enlargers and lenses, I'd say they will be), it will be a good deal for me.

Even a Toyoview is a good camera, but it doesn't really add up to make it worth the trade, all things considered.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I just spoke to the prospective trader. The lot includes the Omega enlarger with the 3 Rodenstock lenses on a turret (as expected), an Esco analog color analyzer (I have never used a color analyzer) what is it for? Is it a kind of exposure meter for printing?, the camera is:

An S&K View Camera made by Shiro Photo Company, Osaka, Japan. It's a monorail, and it looks a lot like the Calumet cameras we used in school. I'm not very educated on view cameras, so they all kind of look alike to me. It's a monorail, so it's not very portable. Obviously you can still take it with you onto location, and I plan to do that. A Walker camera would be fantastic, maybe later.

The lenses are a Scheinder Symmar 210mm f/5.6 with Copal #1 shutter (convertible to 370mm f/12 by removing rear element) and a Kodak Wide Field Ektar 100mm f/6.3.

Here are the photos of the equipment: https://www.dropbox.com/gallery/5487...a983#gallery:0

I know very little about this stuff (the lenses I assume are high quality, but the camera I am less sure of). Thanks for any input.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    At least with LF landscape, a bad day of photography can still be a good day of exercise.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    That is the exact camera, Vaughn. Thanks! The bag bellows in the box look a little rough...I hope the accordion bellows aren't bad.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I see just one lens on the enlarger turret.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by MattKing View Post
    I see just one lens on the enlarger turret.
    Duly noted. He says the others are in a box, I asked to make sure they are indeed in a box.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The color analyzer is primarily for color printing. It can help you find the right color printing filter pack quicker and more easily - or at least it does for some people. I've never used one, and some people I know who tried them gave them up, but I do know others who like them. "Primarily" for color because I think most of them can be used for density comparisons for choosing B&W contrast grade and as B&W enlarging exposure meters.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I doubt I'll use it either, since I don't plan on doing color printing. But it's nice to know I have the equipment necessary to do it.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I use a colour analyser as a B&W exposure meter & timer.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    What's the word on the lenses? They're older designs...would they be up to the challenge of Acros (or Delta 100) in Rodinal, enlarged to 16x20 using the Omega enlarger? I am assuming so, but I have never used a Kodak Ektar lens. I know they are held to a high regard, but how good are they really?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin