Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,300   Posts: 1,535,812   Online: 722

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Shooter
    Multi Format
    there are many excellent books, sure, but there's still nothing like having someone who knows it tell you in person -- or on a forum like this.
    Funny, I've always found the bulletin board a poor way to transfer knowledge, especially when the question demands a long answer. Spend some time reading posts here and on photo.net. The shoe polish/excrement ratio is low.

each of you guys IS a book
    Right, and most are from vanity presses. If you don't know what a vanity press is, the modern equivalent is a blog, except that the blog form is, like the bulletin board, hostile to anything longer than one screen.

but there's nothing like someone who knows.
    Interesting idea. So tell me, when you went to school how many of your teachers dispensed with a text or collection of published papers and simply taught off the top if their heads?

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Zen in the art of Archery by Eugen Herrigel. I believe this book was given to HCB in the 1950’s by Georges Braque and probably the result of a discussion they had about technique. Definitely worth reading for any serious photographer.

“The contemplation of things as they are, without error or confusion, without substitution or imposture, is in itself a nobler thing than a whole harvest of invention”

Francis Bacon

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Fromm View Post
    Interesting idea. So tell me, when you went to school how many of your teachers dispensed with a text or collection of published papers and simply taught off the top if their heads?
    Not very may. Only the best knew their subjects well enough to do that. And it was from those that I learned the most.

Ken
    "They are the proof that something was there and no longer is. Like a stain. And the stillness of them is boggling. You can turn away but when you come back they’ll still be there looking at you."

— Diane Arbus, March 15, 1971, in response to a request for a brief statement about photographs

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Ken, I've had teachers who lectured without notes, only one who assigned no readings.

The exception was a crazed mathematician -- Alex Abian, a very bright man -- who taught the diff eq for engineers and other idiots course. He didn't teach from the standard text, instead developed on the fly a course on the algebra of the differential operator that led naturally to solving differential equations. He did, though, hand out problem sets.

For most subjects a college-level course with no readings is inconceivable.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin