Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,550   Posts: 1,544,845   Online: 1100

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    .... and no footprints on the sand .

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    ...what's a parka???

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Depending on how cold it is, I either go with the Carhart work coat or the old army surplus field coat. Either one has lots of pockets.

What do you wear for gloves? I have some fingerless gloves from back when I used to hunt, but it gets even too cold for that up here.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by zenrhino
    Depending on how cold it is, I either go with the Carhart work coat or the old army surplus field coat. Either one has lots of pockets.
    What do you wear for gloves? I have some fingerless gloves from back when I used to hunt, but it gets even too cold for that up here.
    I usually just use the thick gloves I used to use when I go skiing and just deal with the cold for few moments whenI need to do something that I can't with them on. I'll probably go take a browse around Gander Moutain or the like for some outdoorman type gloves. I think some of the thinner ones made for ice fishing could do the job.
    Gear: Camera, Brain, Light.
    Website - FB

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    This thread has been an interesting read. Cold to me here is when I have to put on a long-sleeved shirt. Ha.
    juan

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Shmoo
    ...what's a parka???

It's the single-thickness Goretex coat (with vents) one wears when it rains.
    [COLOR=SlateGray]"You can't depend on your eyes if your imagination is out of focus." -Mark Twain[/COLOR]

Ralph Barker
    Rio Rancho, NM

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    I was up in the Highwood Pass yesterday (in Alberta, Canada) - this is the highest paved road in Canada - altitude is something like 7239 ft. It was -10C, which all-in-all isn't that cold for Alberta in the mountains in the winter. However, factor in the wind gusting to 50-60 km per hour, and the wind chill was pretty severe. I wouldn't even want to hazard a guess at the wind chill - probably approaching -35C.

Now *that* is cold!

Since I was doing mostly road-kill, I would compose the shot, cover the lens (to protect from dust and snow), and then sit in the car until the light was right. Then, rush out, pull of the lens cap, and take the shot. Brrrrr. I think it was worth it tho.

I'm going to sit in front of the fire.
    Cheers!

-klm.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob F.
    As usual, London was somewhere in between weather wise. 10 deg C. Started dull and overcast, then the sun came out for an hour or two (hurrah!), then it drizzled for a while before finally making up its mind to have a good solid rain for a bit (boo!). By this time it was 4pm so the sun hit the horizon & went down with a soggy thud (not that you could actually see it by then) .... Classic for the time of year.

Forecast for the next 3 months? More of the same (and I don't need zillions of quids worth of Met. Office supercomputer to work that one out)...

Good thing about the cold is that most people stay indoors, leaving us free to photograph in peace. Personally, I don't care if it's cold or hot, I just can't shoot in the &£%dy rain!

Cheers, Bob.
    I'm with you on that! I love shooting in the snow & cold, but the rain! AUGHHHHH!!! I got exactly ONE day of no-rain to shoot a roll in the Hassy... then... the skies became leaden grey and have stayed that way here ever since!!! It's a conspiracy, I tell ya!

I have one of those photographers vest, and I do not care if I look like the Queen of the Nerd Herd in it! That thing is the handiest thing since Inspector Gagdet! I wear mine in pride!
    Jeanette
    .................................................. ................
    Isaiah 25:1

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Sjixxxy
    Big fat parka = many big pockets = good bye bag, and all the weight isn't digging in on one or two straps.

I'm sitting here emptying my bag into its pockets trying to find the best way to load up the coat, throw the tripod over the shoulder and go for a walk with the speed graphic. I think it might be a good idea to have one of the seamstresses in the family create me some sort of grafmatic holster to wear underneath it.
    Be sure the grafmatic holsters are of a lintless type fabric, I found out the hard way by putting them into my fleece sweater pockets that grafmatics will suck the dust and lint in from wherever they are stored. Might want to put them in ziplocks individually just in case.
    Last edited by glbeas; 11-27-2004 at 05:11 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    Gary Beasley

Ole
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I think we may have different definitions of "cold" - and "not cold" as well. Last weekend I drove from Bergen to Oslo and back in beautiful winter scenery, with a car full of LF gear. I saw several scenes I'd like to shoot, then I looked at the temperature. -15°C. I carried on driving.

When it's "not cold" in Norway, the temperature is usually between 10 and 18°C. Not very bothersome.

May I also remind you that aluminium tends to get brittle at temperatures below -40°?
    -- Ole Tjugen, Luddite Elitist
    Norway

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin